Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Iran Nuclear Deal

Sturgeon

In long run oil is not a big problem, too. And economy of Russia is in depression since end 2013, during high oil prices, which mean that high oil prices will not solve Russia's problems, they are not critical. We are at turning point currently, and how our politicians will handle it is much more important.

I will need to look at the available details of the deal in more detail before I can construct a more complete appraisal, but basically:

-When you run uranium through a centrifuge/calutron/gasseous diffuser array/whatever, it only enriches it a little bit.  The atomic masses of the relevant isotopes are only different by 1.3%, so they don't separate all that readily.  The degree of enrichment, therefore, depends on how many times you put it through the sucker.  If you have the physical machinery to make reactor-grade material,you can make bomb-grade material.

-Yes, there are to be inspections of the enrichment.  Can anyone say how well this will work?  This program is, so far as I can tell, entirely without precedent.

-The Turks, Iranians and Kurds are all terrible people too.  It's unclear to me what is gained by supporting them instead.  And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know." 

After seeing the bread lines of Gorbie, and the drunken whoring of Yeltsin, i am confident that I will never see anything worse in the years to come

Brezhnev we hardly knew yee 

Brezhnev kind of helped the USSR along to it's doom by basically not confronting the issues it faced during it's day. Like, had Andropov not died it might not have mattered, but it lead to Gorbechev and the eventual dissolution and everything that entailed. I seriously dislike Brezhnev for these reasons and efforts should have been made to rotate him out, but the man  made sure that'd be a difficult task in the first place.

I will need to look at the available details of the deal in more detail before I can construct a more complete appraisal, but basically:

-When you run uranium through a centrifuge/calutron/gasseous diffuser array/whatever, it only enriches it a little bit.  The atomic masses of the relevant isotopes are only different by 1.3%, so they don't separate all that readily.  The degree of enrichment, therefore, depends on how many times you put it through the sucker.  If you have the physical machinery to make reactor-grade material,you can make bomb-grade material.

-Yes, there are to be inspections of the enrichment.  Can anyone say how well this will work?  This program is, so far as I can tell, entirely without precedent.

-The Turks, Iranians and Kurds are all terrible people too.  It's unclear to me what is gained by supporting them instead.  And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know." 

Possible analyzation of all incoming and outgoing material? Checks on power usage and centrifuge usage?

Everyone is fucking awful, it's all just various degrees. Saudis are literal bottom of the barrel shit and the US doesn't gain anything from being thier ally. In this case, we know the devil so damn well we know hes not worth keeping because hes incapable of the reforms necessary to squash Wahhabism. I'd rather pick a new devil then play groundhog day for fucking ever with sunni extremists that cannot be negotiated with. If all repproachment with Iran is just the US trying to apply pressure to get SA to change, that could work too, but the US has to have the guts to follow through when most assuredly SA will do everything in it's power to not.

Brezhnev kind of helped the USSR along to it's doom by basically not confronting the issues it faced during it's day. Like, had Andropov not died it might not have mattered, but it lead to Gorbechev and the eventual dissolution and everything that entailed. I seriously dislike Brezhnev for these reasons and efforts should have been made to rotate him out, but the man  made sure that'd be a difficult task in the first place.

sure maybe he did, but i know for a fact it was the best time to be alive in the Soviet Union 

sure maybe he did, but i know for a fact it was the best time to be alive in the Soviet Union 

I'm not going to disagree, 1960-1972 were the USSR golden years. Still not going to cheer the man, those good years had much less to do with any skill on Brezhnevs part. He was a beaucrat, not an economist, too bad he didn't just focus on his strengths.

The thing is the Saudis are that bad as "allies". Even when notionally working with us they're working against us (and by us I don't mean US, I mean civilized beings the world over). When compared to Satan himself, Lucifer or Leviathan don't seem like a bad deal, especially when you can play them off each other, because Satan is wrath and very destructive. (Which is a good bit of why I'm not a fan of the US being inflexibly pro-Israel, because it can generate real or perceived hypocrisies that hurt the region).

I'm not going to disagree, 1960-1972 were the USSR golden years. Still not going to cheer the man, those good years had much less to do with any skill on Brezhnevs part. He was a beaucrat, not an economist, too bad he didn't just focus on his strengths.

The drought in his prime didnt help

"The most dangerous breeds of human in Soviet Union were Soviet economists. They are worse than nukes - they managed to actually destroyed it."

I see this sentiment all the time, yet Andropov was an excellent economic reformer and had he lived the USSR would have been stronger. Economic reform doesn't have to be dumb liberalization and privazation.

Pshhh. Our 1980s senior citizen President shrugged off bullet wounds and lived. Whereas the Russkies went through three of them in four years.

USA! USA! USA!

No one beats Teddy and Jackson at bullet eating.

On topic, does anyone think Iran will go through a potential "Yelstin" phase?

Pshhh. Our 1980s senior citizen President shrugged off bullet wounds and lived. Whereas the Russkies went through three of them in four years.

USA! USA! USA!

How many medal's did Reagan earn?

Sorry if our leaders were too buzy winning world war 2

RUSSIA STRONK! RUSSIA STRONK!

No one beats Teddy and Jackson at bullet eating.

On topic, does anyone think Iran will go through a potential "Yelstin" phase?

You mean after a paralyzingly incompetent walking birthmark fuck's up the country with his peace disease mindset, and then is succeeded by an achohlic man-child retard?

maybe but i dont thing booze is legal over there, so maybe he will have to be a chocoholic

i can see it now, the morbidly obese Iranian leader pisses away his country for the last of the coca farms, only to die from diabeetus and be succeded by their head of secret police

You mean after a paralyzingly incompetent walking birthmark fuck's up the country with his peace disease mindset, and then is succeeded by an achohlic man-child retard?

maybe but i dont thing booze is legal over there, so maybe he will have to be a chocoholic

i can see it now, the morbidly obese Iranian leader pisses away his country for the last of the coca farms, only to die from diabeetus and be succeded by their head of secret police

I was thinking more that Iran might be susceptible to a new leader willing to liberalize and match the west, and that foreign "investors" will come strip Iran of everything it's worth, leading to everything spiraling into awful.