Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Damn, that sucks.  I hope this is not the M18 that Meplat has driven around.  

Edit: from what I can tell from the news video, the M18 is named "Rachel" and is owned by a fellow named Steve Preston.  He and his M18 were just last month featured in an WSJ article.

I was talking with my Thursday Night War Game buddies about the incident involving the M-18 owned by Steve Preston. Since I'm the resident tanker they were asking me about what I thought happened. During the discussion, we were talking about what kind of ammo they would have been using.

That got me to wondering, what kind of ammo would they have been using?

Surplus ammo? US? Foreign?

Reloaded ammo? If so, what would the propellant be? Primer? Projectile?

I figured it would be easy for a machine shop to fabricate a 76mm projectile, but what would you use for the rest? 

That brought me to think about the balistics of such a round. Would you get close enough to a service round to be able to use the AP or HE reticle in the sight?

BTW, hello.

I was talking with my Thursday Night War Game buddies about the incident involving the M-18 owned by Steve Preston. Since I'm the resident tanker they were asking me about what I thought happened. During the discussion, we were talking about what kind of ammo they would have been using.

I figured it would be easy for a machine shop to fabricate a 76mm projectile, but what would you use for the rest? 

That brought me to think about the balistics of such a round. Would you get close enough to a service round to be able to use the AP or HE reticle in the sight?

BTW, hello.

Welcome to SH.

BTW, hello.

The M18 I dealt with was using surplus U.S. 76mm cases, an item of increasing scarcity, topped with modified 3" naval projectiles (the base diameter of the two is the same, but since the 3" operates at a much higher pressure, it has a thicker obturator ring. The process to convert involves turning down this brass ring to allow use in the 76mm.)

What original fixed 76mm ammo there is in the U.S. is likely a collector's item, and not often fired because of it's scarcity.

The propellant is surplus, and looks like small animal feed/alfalfa pellets. It's not easy to find on the net outside of dedicated collector's boards, but if you hit the larger shows where there is a NFA/cannon-cocker presence, you'll find more than a few folks selling the stuff in 35 gallon fiberboard drums (as well as projos and casings for a variety of arty, though rarely in volume, at least on display).

Primers tend to be very hot battery cup type, (similar to what a shotgun uses) though this can vary by the person doing the loading/firing.  I've seen casings with and without primer tubes, there seems to be little hard concensus either way.  Most casings are modified to use an available primer.

In the realm of turning projos, that's getting common with the 6 pounder/57mm guns. (image related)VMTGkc5.jpg

Ballistics can get close, and the ranges most are fired at, the  reticle scaling is not as critical. Excepting a couple shoots, the ranges may as well be point blank. 

Even the exceptions, the ranges are not really enough for even a marginally warm reduced load in a 76 to drop enough to really matter.

(There was no split reticle for the M18, BTW, just one set of scales. Most shooters are not using vintage optics anyhow. )

Thanks for the info Meplat. 

So would the reloaded rounds have as much chamber pressure as a service round?

I remember from my time on tanks we would keep track of the rounds fired and what type on the DA 2408-4 to track barrel wear. Would any restored cannons have that data available?