Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

39F3700B00000578-3892754-image-a-12_1478

According to British tabloids/newspapers, the upper side boxes serve for storage of ammunition.

20140626_defencephotography_eurosatory_0

The lower boxes (not always fitted) also appear to serve for storage tasks (at least in some places).

ARES-loaded-onto-A400M-Atlas-mock-up-at-

Naked Scout-SV Ajax/Ares? (Note the arrangement of the headlights - that is not a standard ASCOD 2 hull).

Ares-acceptance-testing-Sept-2017.jpg

Note two things: the frontal hull armor is too thin to stop RPGs; on the right side is an Ares without modular armor at the sides and LFP: the armor modules appear to be usually mounted ontop of the storage boxes.

The ASCOD 2 tested in the Czech Republic also had all ammunition stored externally (outside the crew compartment) according to General Dynamics... and it looked like this:

DM1pL3UXcAEOKsQ.jpg

My guess is that the thick boxes mounted at the hull side are mostly storage boxes, which however needs to be armored (otherwise a bullet from a machine gun can set the most of the main gun ammo on fire).

1 hour ago, Ramlaen said:

Edit: So the idea is that the storage boxes are sandwiched between layers  of armor?

Yes, I believe that this would be the side armor arrangement.

1 hour ago, Willy Brandt said:

So how much ammo is ready in the vehicle and how much would be in the "side armor"?

You can see an early Ajax vehicle with storage boxes not covered by applique armor in the third video embedded in an article from Forces.tv.

syOXtIW.png2nyQ7p2.png

O5iZZZQ.png

By0ekEL.png

7uL3Un5.png

Here is the side armor without storage boxes/additional armor layers:

glLcWDn.jpg

2 hours ago, SH_MM said:

20140626_defencephotography_eurosatory_0

Yeah I remember now seeing this picture a while before. It doesn't make sense to use the entirety of the hull's size, on both sides, for storage. That's just a ridiculous amount of equipment they're carrying there. I definitely wouldn't want to be the guy that loses all his gear because some dude with an AK decided to have a little fun.

17 hours ago, SH_MM said:

But I guess they now officially confirmed (for the second time), that the "side armor" modules are in fact storage boxes; otherwise there wouldn't be a need to adopt the net-based Tarian's RPG armour at the sides.

ajax-fig.jpg

The storage boxes are only on the very upper right side. 

As the Iraqi newspaper Al Ghad Press reported on January 28, 2018, the American General Dynamics corporation ceased the program of technical and service support of the M1A1M Abrams tank of the Iraqi army at its technical base at Al Matan airport in Baghdad from the end of 2017. This was in response to Iraq's revealed violations of the contractual agreement on the receipt of these tanks, expressed primarily in the transfer of at least two Abrams tanks from the Iraqi army to the pro-Iranian Shiite militia "Hashd al-Shaabi" ("People's Mobilization Force"). It is reported that General Dynamics has previously repeatedly informed the Iraqi government of the inadmissible from its point of view the transfer of Abrams tanks to armed groups that are not part of the Iraqi army.

Ambrams_Shia_Militia

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3069267.html

11 minutes ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Any idea what this could be? The only Vickers light tank of the era I can think of is the Mk.VI, but why bother testing it in 1945?

The Harry Hopkins? 

Testing may have less to do with the current tank and more about learning how to improve future vehicle designs.