Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I guess the concept of unbalanced MBT production in Europe will forever elude me.

One of the few programs in the IDF's ground forces that I can say has remained very consistent in its efficiency is the tank, and subsequently AFV, development and production program.

And a key reason to that is the fact that other than times of budgetary crisis when there was simply no money to pay for new tanks, production has run continuously and with little to no fluctuations in the output. 

This created a situation in which every tank that reaches its universally agreed age of obsolescence (30-40), it gets replaced just on time (actually a few years earlier just in case there will be unexpected delays). The way to do this is by producing only 30 tanks per year, i.e one battalion. 

Scale this to the number of battalions, or companies (really depends upon the size of the army), and what you get is an army that is always fairly modern, supported by an industrial base whose stability is ensured by an IDIQ (Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity) type contract.

32 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

I guess the concept of unbalanced MBT production in Europe will forever elude me.

One of the few programs in the IDF's ground forces that I can say has remained very consistent in its efficiency is the tank, and subsequently AFV, development and production program.

And a key reason to that is the fact that other than times of budgetary crisis when there was simply no money to pay for new tanks, production has run continuously and with little to no fluctuations in the output. 

This created a situation in which every tank that reaches its universally agreed age of obsolescence (30-40), it gets replaced just on time (actually a few years earlier just in case there will be unexpected delays). The way to do this is by producing only 30 tanks per year, i.e one battalion. 

Scale this to the number of battalions, or companies (really depends upon the size of the army), and what you get is an army that is always fairly modern, supported by an industrial base whose stability is ensured by an IDIQ (Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity) type contract.

Personally, I blame the end of the Cold War - many 'western' governments more or less convinced themselves that they had no major threats likely and that existing equipment was 'sufficient'... so procurement has often been the first thing on the chopping block to save funds. The IDF & Israeli government crucially has a different view. The issues are pretty simple when you take into account the governments don't care.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's an improvement.

It's made by the same guy (Kwadwo Safo Kantanka) who built these for the Ghanaian military:

Spoiler

That...illuminated human, who also calls himself an "Apostle" and also goes by the nickname of "Star of Africa", also designs...uhm...helicopters:

Spoiler

uajN1kj.jpg

^--- Note where those tail "missiles" are pointing. Don't worry if you can't even, it's normal.

And he also "designs" indigenous cars that in reality are Chinese cars whose spare parts are imported, then assembled in Ghana.

5 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

What's the story behind that? Last time I've heard of any Russian-NATO member cooperation was between them and France (Atom IFV) but it was quite a while ago.

Russian MoD was testing Centauro and Freccia IFV during MoD vs military industry times, somewhere in 2010s.