Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

M1A2 hatch. Interesting design.

fBPl-9Mca0c.jpg

The hatch can be fully open, like in this picture, or half open with the hatch popped up a few inches but horizontal over the TC so he can see out the gap. It can be a pain sometimes to open the hatch fully from that position, if you don't lock it correctly it will swing down and bonk you in the noggin, hopefully you're wearing the kevlar shell CVC when that happens.  :D

Does the black flag now come standard?

I've come to the conclusion that Iraqis suck at tanking. US tanks, Russian tanks, Chinese, whatever, they just lose them in an embarrassing fashion. :rolleyes:

I'm 6'2" (188 cm) and I never really had a problem fitting in the gunner's position on an M1A1 (your pic is of M1A2). It was tight, but not uncomfortable.

I am speaking about ergonomics - location of buttons and screens is not very good. T-14 deisgners tried to solve this problem. 

Those are photos of the Dutch Army testing both the Leo 1 and Chieftain to determine the successor to the Centurion. These photos are from around 1968.

DBV means "Detachement Beproeving Voertuigen", which translates to "Detachment for testing of vehicles".

That might have to be the most difficult tank related decision ever made

Literally the lesser of two evils

I am speaking about ergonomics - location of buttons and screens is not very good. T-14 deisgners tried to solve this problem. 

Again, it is an M1A2, so new systems get stuffed into whatever space is available. I was on M60A3 and the M1 was much better laid out, but as new systems are added or changed, things get worse.

Modification of the American light tank T-24 / M-24 using pparts of suspension from the German Sd.Kfz. 8; ~ 1944-1945

0_14dc5b_d3509a06_XL.jpg

During the test the tank with this chassis, it has been found that it did not had any advantages over the base chassis, so any further development works were cancelled.

0_14dc5c_57aa8470_XL.jpg

0_14dc5d_7928132f_XL.jpg

0_14dc5e_78518575_XL.jpg

Ir makes me sick, and makes me want to kick a Congresscritter.

In the nuts.

With a steel-toed boot.

With a cattle-prod affixed to the toe.

Really have I ever told youall how absolutely pissed the fuck off it makes me to see the way machines like this are treated?

The BEST we can hope for is for it to be made into a fucking flowerpot. 

Slathered in paint and planted on a concrete slab.

Simply Disgusting.

Responding in more appropriate thread

Lots of stuff related to the subject from Fort Benning.  Both good and bad, but interesting nonetheless.

A video on the matter too.