Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

UFP visually feels much thinner than normal B models. Or my eyes are playing with me.

This is no B, it is an early-export T-72 (not A or B)

It does look off, maybe Iraq modified the glacis somehow. Their "tank factory" could not build any tanks (hence the Asad Babil is debunked), but it could work on them.

Copy/paste from otvaga.

L9ILm83.jpg

From left to right:

120mm as used on the Conqueror. Separate charge and projectile.
120mm Separate combustible rigid charge bag and projectile
110mm. Experimental semi combustible case with brass base stub. This comes as a fixed round.
105mm. Fixed round
20 pounder. Fixed round
17 pounder/77mm. Fixed round
17 pounder/77mm short case as used in the Comet. Fixed round
6pr7cwt. Fixed round
2 pounder littlejohn Mk 2 fixed round
for 77mm and 17 pdr penetration are incorrect, but they've been copied so many times they are regarded as true!

For example, the RAC Tank Museum's Fire & Movement booklet quotes penetration at 1000 yards/30 degrees for APCBC as 110mm for the 77mm and 118mm for the 17 pdr. This makes no sense given the difference in power. Many years ago I researched this and dug out various other sources. As a result of which, I found that the true figures seem to be around 100mm and 134mm respectively. Figures for APDS are similarly distorted (F&M gives 165mm for the 77mm, 170mm for the 17 pdr!). I can only assume that the performance of the two guns in F&M was measured under different conditions, e.g. using different qualities of armour.

By comparison, figures in F&M for the German APCBC equivalents seem much more realistic: the 75mm L/48 tank gun (which is slightly less powerful than the 77mm) penetrates 90mm, the long 75mm L/70 in the Panther tank (marginally more powerful than the 17 pdr) is credited with 141mm.