Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

AMX-30

I have always thought that the AMX-30 is one of the best looking tanks ever made.  Too bad it was not a particularly good tank.  The LeClerc on the other hand is absolutely hideous but seems like a pretty impressive vehicle.  Regardless, those are pretty rough observations since neither vehicle has seen much action so there is not much evidence with which to judge them.  

I have always thought that the AMX-30 is one of the best looking tanks ever made.  Too bad it was not a particularly good tank.  The LeClerc on the other hand is absolutely hideous but seems like a pretty impressive vehicle.  Regardless, those are pretty rough observations since neither vehicle has seen much action so there is not much evidence with which to judge them.  

One of the reasons I'm watching the Yemen thread fairly closely.  UAE has an entire armor brigade deployed, and I'm wondering what their loss rates and how well the LeClerc will do.

The XM1 is bad, says a Panther driver; http://m.csmonitor.com/1980/1121/112144.html

That is an interesting article.  It's important to remember that most people, even someone as well informed on tanks as Robert Icks, did not understand Chobham armor very well at this point.  If someone is thinking armor in terms of traditional steel plate, the turret designs of the Abrams (and the Leopard II) don't make much sense.  

Doing a bit of google-fu, I found that the German author mentioned in that article, Gunther Scherrer, never did finish his book on the Battle of Kursk.  Where did I learn this?  WoT forum of all places, where he had posted some of his artwork.  (he does not use his name in the post but his name is in the file names of the photos.)

post-345566-027247900%201311277640.jpg

That is an interesting article. It's important to remember that most people, even someone as well informed on tanks as Robert Icks, did not understand Chobham armor very well at this point. If someone is thinking armor in terms of traditional steel plate, the turret designs of the Abrams (and the Leopard II) don't make much sense.

Doing a bit of google-fu, I found that the German author mentioned in that article, Gunther Scherrer, never did finish his book on the Battle of Kursk. Where did I learn this? WoT forum of all places, where he had posted some of his artwork. (he does not use his name in the post but his name is in the file names of the photos.)

post-345566-027247900%201311277640.jpg

Zimmerit and Panther skirts at Kursk?

lol, Turkmenistan

538709_1000.jpg

does it occur to them that any vehicle with that sort of paint job and glass layout is going to be a potential target regardless of wheather it had ATGMs sticking out of it or not? 

you want concealment? take any one of the thousands of 50 year old vans you see when driving through those lands in the good ole days that will never break down, paint them in the most unsuspecting colors there are for military targets. Make it look like its some 20 something's "pussy magnet" that he just recently butchered  "improved' the factory paint job of after his uncle reluctantly sold it off to his kid brothers first fuckup son. And then you slap the definitlynotkonkurs-m™ contraption on the back of it and pray whatever enemy combatants in the ethnic cleansing/proxy war you come across have stingy fucking armored officers who dont like reporting that their D-10T's are running dry to whatever darker shad of Tied is running the show

Or atleast i hope this is an effort in threading the waters of asymmetrical warfare, because whoever thought these have any advantages over BRDM carriages needs to be fucking scalped 

Put me on the former Soviet military acquisition board coach, im ready! 

The Chieftain actually RO's a Nazi?

snapback.pngManicDVLN, on Apr 05 2016 - 17:24, said:

[Content Moderated - Insults]
--Rhonico

snapback.pngThe_Chieftain, on Apr 05 2016 - 18:29, said:

OK, Manic. Fun's over. Constructive/mature posts only from this point on, please.

SAYWA????