Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

If that's a 90mm gun, that tank must be huge.

Also, that's a really primitive-looking tank for being a concept in 1950. The T42 was in steel by that point, and the M48 wouldn't be long in coming, either.

The irony is that this picture is from a British Newspaper in 1950, which is pretty much the only time that the British could say they had the best tank in the world in the form of the Centurion.  

Great stories. Somewhat relatedly, the US actually looked into a jumping armored car in World War II. The National Defense Research Committee in spring 1941 initiated research on a series of armored cars featuring a suspension that could squat and then release the stored energy, jumping the vehicle over obstacles. No actual cars were manufactured, but a one-wheel test rig built by the Baker Manufacturing Co. indicated the machine could clear a 49" vertical obstacle or a 49-foot ditch if it was traveling at 40 mph. In typical understatement, Hunnicutt opined that "...under estimating the dimensions of the obstacle might have been disastrous." :blink:

oGsMf.gif

Years ago, my girlfriend and I were at Ft. Knox for their annual Memorial Day open house (she's very patient with me). We stuck around until the end of the event, as I had learned in the past that the vehicles would be driven back to the motor pool at that point. The crew of the Abrams that was on display fire it up, and I start recording video since this was the first time I had seen an Abrams moving around in person. They drive the tank from the grass onto the one-lane road bisecting the display area, then pivot the tank so it's pointed down the path. My poor girlfriend, only having previously been exposed to cars and not knowing tanks were capable of this, unleashes a surprised "Holy fuck!"

Footage ruined. :(