Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Yeah, which brings up some different questions about the K2.

K1A2 should be basically an Abrams/Leo2 class tank, right?  After all it's basically GM's XM1 prototype* warmed over, and given some upgrades, so it should be basically competitive with those designs.

But the existence of the K2 suggests that ROK thinks that there are worthwhile improvements to be had that require an entirely new design.  Does that suggest that the US should ditch ideas of re-opening the Abrams production line and go to a completely new design?

* I think.  The suspension design is very similar.  Does anyone know for sure?  M48A5K?

AFAIK turret armor layout and design are different between K1 models and K2. I suspect that K2 armor is modular, which make it a design, with aim for future upgrades, but i am not well informed about Korean tanks. Also, isn't K2 equipped wituh autoloader, while K1 is just human loader? This would make gun upgrades easier.

Yeah, which brings up some different questions about the K2.

K1A2 should be basically an Abrams/Leo2 class tank, right?  After all it's basically GM's XM1 prototype* warmed over, and given some upgrades, so it should be basically competitive with those designs.

But the existence of the K2 suggests that ROK thinks that there are worthwhile improvements to be had that require an entirely new design.  Does that suggest that the US should ditch ideas of re-opening the Abrams production line and go to a completely new design?

* I think.  The suspension design is very similar.  Does anyone know for sure?  M48A5K?

K1 was lighter than the abrams and the suspension on K1 is a torsion bar/Hydro combination.  But yeah, the K1A1 and K1A2 seem like very capable vehicles.  I think one of the motivations of the K2 program is to create a tank using almost all indigenous components, which would make it much easier to export than the K1.  Also, the K2 will not be replacing the K1, K2 will be replacing the older M48 tanks still in service.  Kinda like how in Japan the Type 10 is not replacing the Type 90, which is still a very capable vehicle, but rather the older Type 74 tanks still in service.  At least, that's what I can gather reading what little is out there on these vehicles in English.