Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General Dynamics Griffin at AUSA 2016.

Land Systems is demonstrating its new, non-developmental medium-weight ground combat vehicle.

Demonstrating a New Series of Firepower: Land Systems’ lethal, medium-weight tracked vehicle demonstrator, the Griffin, combines the DNA of the Abrams turret and 120mm gun with innovations from the company’s full series of ground combat vehicles.

An Ajax variant perhaps?

Problem is that produced HP is a curve, which makes the torque a curve too:

image714.gif

So max HP =/= max torque

I am for the most part thinking about the electric engine, in which you can use this formula to calculate the torque:

Torque in SI units can be estimated as

T = PW 9.549 / n         

where

T = torque (Nm)

PW =  power (watts)

n = revolution per minute (rpm)

When it comes to a conventional engine, I am fully aware that the peak torque and horsepower does not follow the same curve. I was thinking about how a gear box works, you know, let's say you have a fast spinning low torque axle, and you want it to spin slower. Then you can simply do this right?:

ftgears2.jpg

This would cause the larger cog to spin slower, and also have more torque.  So since the MB 838s optimum RPM for maximum torque is 1500RPM, but the electric engines torque is 1000RPM, we could use a gear box to convert some of the RPM to torque, so that both run at 1000RPM at the axle. I think they are called gear ratios. 

​(Gah, just realized that we have a transmissions and final drives thread, probably should have posted the question there >_<)

Huh, I don't know that book.  I'll have to look into it.

It was praised in another book I was reading so I picked it up, but I'm not real happy with it to be honest. The campaign summaries are very high level, which isn't necessarily as interesting to me as more detailed information is. Mostly, though, his writing style grates on me. It's almost like he had to shorten his original draft and accomplished this by inserting innumerable parenthetical and hyphenated references throughout. Oftentimes individual sentences seem to digress on tangents. An example from p.212 that I came across while dinner was cooking tonight:

On 29 June (D + 23), four days after the start of British Second Army's 'Epsom' offensive, counter-attacks by II SS Panzer Corps serving Wilhelm Bittrich--a new corps commander replacing Hausser promoted GOC, Seventh Army (Dollmann's suicide beiong reported at the time as a heart attack)--finally frustrated 21st Army Group's plan for isolating Caen by thrusting around the city from the north-west. Co-operating with I SS Panzer Corps (Dietrich) assaulting the eastern flank of the British penetration at Verson, II SS Panzer Corps (Bittrich), converging on nearby Cheux from the west and south-west, sealed the fate of 'Epsom' forcing Dempsey on to the defensive and leaving Panzer Group West (Geyr) temporarily in control of the battlefield. But whatever hopes OB West or Rommel entertained of extending the II SS Panzer Corps offensive into a strike northwards, splitting the Allied front around Caumont as Rommel originally intended--until 21st Army Group pressure had forced Seventh Army (Dollmann) into asking Rommel for the immediate and unscheduled use of II SS Panzer Corps in the Odon battle--were dashed by the crushing weight of Allied artillery and air power brought to bear on the attacking divisions.

Note that passage consists of only three sentences. :(