Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2767080.html

Algerian television published footage from the annual exercises of the Algerian army MAJD 2017, which are held on the border with Morocco. Traditionally, parts of the Algerian army in this area are not equipped with the latest systems, which turns the teachings into a kind of time machine for the viewer. 

15 hours ago, Iron Drapes said:

What's the story here? Did it freeze up as they were halfway through or something? Or maybe the tank got stuck and they couldn't get it out before the water froze?

I suspect someone mis-judged the thickness of the ice, and it fell in while crossing the ice

14 hours ago, Xlucine said:

I suspect someone mis-judged the thickness of the ice, and it fell in while crossing the ice

Considering it sports what appears to be (I'm not quite familiar with the Centurion, so please cut me some slack) fording equipment (snorkels), I'd say it was in the water in the first place. Maybe it got stuck, lost traction or had a leak and had to be evacuated, who knows.

26 minutes ago, Renegade334 said:

Considering it sports what appears to be (I'm not quite familiar with the Centurion, so please cut me some slack) fording equipment (snorkels), I'd say it was in the water in the first place. Maybe it got stuck, lost traction or had a leak and had to be evacuated, who knows.

Most likely a precaution. In the spoiler there's a Cent with snorkels while driving on ice.

That's probably a lot more likely than the T-44 (which I must confess I'd not heard of prior to following up this subject).....For some reason I thought the Soviets used the ZIS-2 in their halftrack TDs, so this is a doubly enlightening post for me.

PS - The Deacon was still the coolest:

AECdeaconMark1haugh%20(2).jpg

http://www.warwheels.net/AECDeacon_Haugh.html

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's probably a lot more likely than the T-44 (which I must confess I'd not heard of prior to following up this subject).....For some reason I thought the Soviets used the ZIS-2 in their halftrack TDs, so this is a doubly enlightening post for me.

PS - The Deacon was still the coolest:

AECdeaconMark1haugh%20(2).jpg

http://www.warwheels.net/AECDeacon_Haugh.html

The T48 was originally built with the UK in mind, but the British refused them so we shipped them off to the USSR.  So it's certainly possible they were also offered to the Canadians, who, like the British, refused them as obsolete.