Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

1 hour ago, Belesarius said:

Qatar is spending all sorts of $.

They just bought another dozen Rafales too. Curious as to why they are mixing so many different jet types though.

Wondering if they are worried about timelines for delivery?

I guess they are just buying everywhere for political reasons.

I mean just compare the size of their army to the number of IFV they just bought.

They have roughly 8500 people in the land army and even if every single one of them was an infantry men it would still make one IFV for 17 soldiers.

That's just ridiculous, and I'm only counting the upcoming VBCI, not the older IFV and AFV they already have in service (VAB, AMX 10P, AMX VCI) hopefully they'll at least remove the old ones from service.

Same for their air force, I'm not even sure they have enough pilots to crew all their aircrafts.

I won't complain since it good source of income for our industry, but it's clear they are not thinking about practicality here.

That or the recent blocus scared the shit out of them and they want to stockpile weapons ASAP.

12 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

I personally think they are planning for an expanded military and war in the middle east. The winds seem to be blowing that way. EFTs, Rafales and advanced F-15 models put them on par or better than most of their potential adversaries.

Well comparatively to the size of the country, they have a massive amount of high-end systems in every branch of their military, so technologically and numerically they are good.

But the sheer diversity of the systems will just make the training and maintenance a nightmare.

Qatar just doesn't have the population to have such a large military. Only about 12% of their population (so about 300k) are actual Qataris and not foreigners. 

Though, Qatar could just buy soldiers from Africa or pilots from the US/elsewhere if it really needed manpower to go along with all its new toys. Hell, the UAE and Saudi Arabia would probably have used their own mercenaries in an invasion of Qatar just like they've done in Yemen. 

1 minute ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Qatar just doesn't have the population to have such a large military. Only about 12% of their population (so about 300k) are actual Qataris and not foreigners. 

Though, Qatar could just buy soldiers from Africa or pilots from the US/elsewhere if it really needed manpower to go along with all its new toys. Hell, the UAE and Saudi Arabia would probably have used their own mercenaries in an invasion of Qatar just like they've done in Yemen. 

If they bulk up their air force, I wouldn't bet against mercenary pilots at all.

Tho the African Mercs in Yemen haven't been doing all that great from what I've seen.

1 hour ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Do you expect the racist Gulf states to treat African soldiers unlike cannon fodder? 

The Saudis can't fight for shit with the best equipment money can buy.  I don't expect anyone that would be willing to work for them to fight much better. :P

On 12/5/2017 at 1:31 PM, SH_MM said:

Ever wondered about Monopoly's lack of tanks? Does this make the game boring? Worry no more!

24210102_1685783688119052_32806335555888

The German tank museum has created a version of Monopoly with tanks. The post-it note says "approved for production"...

Never one to let a money making opportunity slip, the tank museum bovington has also got in on the action

On 08/12/2017 at 2:04 AM, Alzoc said:

I mean just compare the size of their army to the number of IFV they just bought.

They have roughly 8500 people in the land army and even if every single one of them was an infantry men it would still make one IFV for 17 soldiers.

That's just ridiculous, and I'm only counting the upcoming VBCI, not the older IFV and AFV they already have in service (VAB, AMX 10P, AMX VCI) hopefully they'll at least remove the old ones from service.

Same for their air force, I'm not even sure they have enough pilots to crew all their aircrafts.

I won't complain since it good source of income for our industry, but it's clear they are not thinking about practicality here.

That or the recent blocus scared the shit out of them and they want to stockpile weapons ASAP.

Yes but plenty of versions will be 4 men crew or below (ARV, mortar carrier...). And, they don’t have light forces.

So, this is not so irelevant. 

Edit : Don’t forget the Emiri Guard.

UAE launched offensive on Houthis positions in Western part of Yemen, in coast region with pretty flat terrain, their Leclercs with AZUR are involved. From post in Yemeni war thread:

1343998_1000.jpg

This one have slat armor on the frontal armor, it also cover LFP

Note that this Leclerc have different shaped side armor modules than a tank in a pic above. Also turret sides have add-on modules, unlike in a pic above.

705190_original.jpg

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Note that this Leclerc have different shaped side armor modules than a tank in a pic above. Also turret sides have add-on modules, unlike in a pic above.

705190_original.jpg

The UAE ordered ERA packages from the German manufacturer Dynamit Nobel Defence, which also provides ERA for the Puma. This Leclerc seems to be fitted with such ERA.

As you can see at 1:15, the DND ERA also covers the rear of the turret.

Qatar received batch of new Ejder Yalcin armoured vehicles from Turkey

25348858_10210087527857512_6941656722383696700_n-750x530.jpg

According to the local media, Qatar ordered approximately 400 Ejder Yalçın 4×4 armored combat vehicles produced by Nurol Makina Sanayi (NMS) equipped with Aselsan’s SARP-DUAL remotely controlled weapon stations.

Qatar became the third well-known foreign buyer of the Ejder Yalçın family vehicles after Tunisia and Uzbekistan.

The Ejder Yalcin is an armoured vehicle with high-ballistic protection based on a V-shaped hull.