Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Heck, the block II AGS would have packed a 120mm as well as a number of other upgrades and still managed to retain air mobility and the 3 man crew. 

I guess it would have been successful so we cancelled it only to need something similar 15 years later. I remember how excited the Sheridan guys got about the thought of that thing being replaced by something that actually worked..

What that really shows is that the Canadian army needed an assault gun and had to resort to deploying what they had readily available in order to fill a the need, which was basically an infantry support role. Something a vehicle like the M8 would have filled perfectly.  In low intensity conflicts when the threat from enemy armor is close to 0, vehicles like the M1128 or the defunct M8 program are easier to deploy and support yet pack the punch needed to deal with any potential threats.  The M1128 has some pretty serious design flaws but the concept is pretty sound. 

I do not foresee the large tank and tank battles being the typical future conflict. 

While im a big fan of something like the M8, i think his point was at the end of the day, you will always need an armored box

Stuff like the M8, Sprut, etc. are great for infantry support where you wouldnt have a tank normally

But your always gonna need something that can go jungle busting and laugh at the type AT weapons your average Islamist group is touting

Which is why it will be a good Idea to keep a number of Leopard 2s around 

Bits and pieces of FCS have been recycled, an exhaustive list of which was and was not reincorporated would take some time.

I think some subsystems of the FCS AFV series were being reincorporated into Ground Combat Vehicle, which has been canned and replaced by Future Fighting Vehicle, which I don't think even has a development program yet.

FCS was going to replace all the tanks with AIRMOBILE MODULAR GAVIN-BASED WHEELED TRACKED WHEELED TRACKED BOXES WITH NO ARMOR AND BIG FUCKING GUNS; M8 was basically the equivalent of a Sprut and was never intended to replace the M1.

I was respounding to Belesarius's point about the need of still having something to shrug off AT munitions

Oh, I know the M8 wasn't supposed to replace the M1. I'm saying that huge expensive fleets of MBT are not necessarily relevant to the types of warfare modern armies will be facing in the years to come. Not to get rid of them altogether or stop development of them because there will always be a need for similar vehicles.  

I got out of the army before any of that FCS nonsense got started but I was part of the "pre" fielding brigade of 4ID doing the Force XXI enhancements in the late 90s 

I was bummed when they cancelled the XM2001. Was kind of glad to see that some of it was picked up by the FCS system for use in the XM1203 then bummed again when it was cancelled. I was really hoping for the M109 to be replaced. 

Did anything useful come out of FCS? I know there are some parts are apparently being incorporated into other new AFVs programs, but I don't have good hopes for those projects.

The army made some hilariously awful videos promoting FCS.  So at least it gave us that.  

Check out this bad sci-fi movie bullshit.

I just noticed that at 4:20 in this video, they say:

Networks showing SSLM3

I see it.  Depleted Uranium Sabot, shoulder fired.  

All red elements, check your threat profile, got a new ATGM.  Check for type and countermeasures.  

Seriously?  Shoulder fired DU rounds?

The tandem rod penetrator looks more reasonable that the split or tube designs from a layman's perspective. I would guess the biggest improvements in the short term is just more massive penetrators moving at a higher velocity. I think we are a ways off from more exotic weaponry being used as a main armament on an MBT. 

HneSOyT.png?1

APFSDS ammunition today uses sabot design "d".  Sabot design "b" looks like it could have significantly lower parasitic mass, but does not work with current LRP designs because they are too flexible.

However, those trefoil penetrators from the paper might be stiff enough to pull it off.

• 2 weeks later...