Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

One of the more promising VTOL experiments from the 1960s, The Dornier Do. 31:

I am given to understand that the lift jet bays were for the experimental aircraft only. Production vehicles would have used vectored thrust dual-use engines only. Wiki says the Pegasus engines were going to be replaced with Rb. 153s, but that makes no sense because those are lift engines, I think.

The VAK 191B, Germany's Yak-38. The first video is some horrible popumentary that says dumb shit like "the VAK 191(sic) was in effect a VTOL version of the Fw. 190". It's worth mentioning that "VAK 191" does not refer to the Focke Wulf project, but to the submissions for NBMR-3b. The VAK 191B is the Focke Wulf project (which is more properly called the Fw. 1262, anyway), and the VAK 191A is the P.1127, for example. So far as I am aware, quite the contrary to what the below video claims, neither Kurt Tank nor Willy Messerschmitt were directly responsible for either design. Indeed, Kurt Tank was not even in Germany when the VAK 191B would have been designed. The "documentary" also makes one believe the VAK 191B preceded the VJ 101, but in fact the latter aircraft flew 8 years earlier.

Though the "documentary" waxes poetic about it, make no mistake. The VAK 191B would have basically been as useless as the Yak-38.

Also included in that video is some footage of the VJ 101, which was probably a more sensible idea, though still quite silly.

Possible looks of the FGFA 

a81669670bb0b788d20a545f598c9d8d.jpg

During scheduled for November of this year visit of the Indian delegation to Moscow, may be signed a number of documents, including an agreement on the division of work on the project of the fifth generation fighter and a firm order for 154 aircraft, tells the newspaper "Financial Express" (India).

General-Dynamics-E-7.jpg

A full-scale air tunnel test model of... something.  I think it's a proposed General Dynamics/Convair VTOL shipboard fighter, but all the other images of those I can find show delta-canard designs.

Could be the E-7D, which was different, and was made after the Lockheed takeover of General Dynamics.