Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

Congrats to Blue Origin, but that was a suborbital flight only. The real trick will be to create a fully reusable orbital launch vehicle, which is infinitely harder (and would actually be useful, which New Shepherd's current capability isn't).

Still, a HUGE milestone for the company, and commercial spaceflight in general.

Also, their rocket looks like a penis.

Congrats to Blue Origin, but that was a suborbital flight only. The real trick will be to create a fully reusable orbital launch vehicle, which is infinitely harder (and would actually be useful, which New Shepherd's current capability isn't).

Still, a HUGE milestone for the company, and commercial spaceflight in general.

Also, their rocket looks like a penis.

It is the most penile rocket ever, yes :)

My feeling here is that you could win so hard if this technology allows one to reuse the booster stack. Which is also easy to scale up - you simply slap three of these things together for first stage and stick a third on top to create a voltron of self-landing penises. Boom, orbital penetration and reusability solved :)

Actually no, I don't think that's true at all. Suborbital rockets fly and much lower speeds, and have to be much less tough and structurally strong, plus the boosters themselves must be larger (and longer). It's a lot easier to land something squat and chode-shaped like New Shepherd, now try it with a long-ass Falcon 9 booster.

You can't just strap suborbital boosters together and get an orbital machine. Well, in some cases maybe you can, but you have a shitty payload if you do.

Actually no, I don't think that's true at all. Suborbital rockets fly and much lower speeds, and have to be much less tough and structurally strong, plus the boosters themselves must be larger (and longer). It's a lot easier to land something squad and chode-shaped like New Shepherd, now try it with a long-ass Falcon 9 booster.

You can't just strap suborbital boosters together and get an orbital machine. Well, in some cases maybe you can, but you have a shitty payload if you do.

So you're saying that Kerbal space program lied to me all this time?

Well damn.

Some P-8 pron:

P-8A_of_VP-5_and_Japanese_Kawasaki_P-1_a

The P-1 is a much bigger bird than it looks, about the same size as the P-8.

Open weapons bay:

2384079.jpg

Note the wingtips:

p-8-weapons-bay.jpg

They look like winglets, but they are actually not:

p-8_poseidon_hero_lrg_01_1280x720.jpg

The P-8 also has four wing hardpoints for Harpoons and other missiles (this is a P-8I Neptune in Indian service):

P-8I-Poseidon-09.jpg

Boeing-P-8I-neptun.jpg

P-8A-Poseidon-test-aircraft-T1.jpg

Best airliner-to-bomber conversion since the He-111 :P