Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

A video from Selex ES, showing just how far electronic warfare has come:

Radar has become sophisticated enough that spitting out strips of aluminum foil doesn't fool it anymore.  The big idea now is to spit out little active radio-frequency noisemakers.  Thanks to the wizardry of modern electronics, these noisemakers can be made small enough to fit into chaff dispenser slots!

Look out for the cameo by MiG 1.44.

No I don't know.

I wish I had been paying attention as I would have gone down to Boeing Field to watch. But I had grown up stuff to do today and had to go down to our cold storage space in Fife to pick up a pickup truck of our salmon to prepare for market season and deliveries.

But we're kind of spoiled out here with the number of airplane museums in the Seattle area.

Shamelessly reposting my own post from a different section.

Also, speaking of aircraft and such earlier, I figured I'd mention something, I said something about a J-10C the other day, which is basically a J-10B with some minor and major improvements alike, but, most notably external conformal fuel tanks and an upgraded engine variant that's more fuel efficient yet has better overall performance dubbed the WS-10G, this is intended to fix the range issues the J-10 series has, it can also operate off of carriers. (though, contrary to fan photos, there's no actual reports of a 2 engine variant actually existing.)

artist depiction of what it may look like when finished.

pPOr6xj.jpg

Rumored first prototype "201"

prototype-pf-J-10C.jpg

Note the stripped areas of the paint surface, where the tanks would be intended to go, it also has extra antennas under the nose and on the rear the J-10B doesn't have, the purpose of these is unknown at the moment.

I think that was a Boeing 307.

Yes it was, here's the snippet from Wiki The only surviving Boeing 307 Stratoliner (NC19903) is preserved in flying condition at the Smithsonian Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. On March 28, 2002, this aircraft crashed into Elliott Bay in Seattle, Washington, on what was to be its last flight before heading to the Smithsonian.[28] Despite the incident, it was again restored, flown to the Smithsonian, and is now on display.[29]

1920px-Boeing_307_in_Elliott_Bay.jpg

Yes it was, here's the snippet from Wiki The only surviving Boeing 307 Stratoliner (NC19903) is preserved in flying condition at the Smithsonian Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. On March 28, 2002, this aircraft crashed into Elliott Bay in Seattle, Washington, on what was to be its last flight before heading to the Smithsonian.[28] Despite the incident, it was again restored, flown to the Smithsonian, and is now on display.[29]

1920px-Boeing_307_in_Elliott_Bay.jpg

Man. I don't remember that happening here but good find!