Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

IL-76MD LL, it will be used in testing of the hypersonic plane-laboratory

174673.jpg

LII is preparing for tests of their hypersonic plane/laboratory, for which a modified IL-76 will be used.

One of experimental hypersonic jet engine, developed by TsIAM:

3076530_original.jpg

VhNFpFo.jpg

P-38L with P-38F style cowlings and a lack of turbo-superchargers. This threw me, and for a split second I thought I was looking at a Model 322 or Lightning I in RAF parlance.

Yep, was formerly named white lighting, and owned by a chap named 'lefty' Gardner.  It was used as an air racer, and then did lots of air shows in the US through the 80s and early 90s.  The family that owned it, couldn't keep up with the growing costs, and it eventually caught fire in the air, and was forced to land in a farmers field, gear up.  Lefty wanted to fix it, and I don't remember if it was damaged to badly, or the family just ran out of cash or if Lefty died or something, but it ended up being sold to Redbull and restored, extensively, and they kept the early cowls. Last time I looked into it, it was based somewhere in Europe. 

Also, look at the left radiator exhaust doors, I wonder if the engine is running hot, and he has them open to cool it down, or if he forgot to close them?

a before pic

533221_3c5822ac34348eac75b9e833ea328bb6_

Yep, was formerly named white lighting, and owned by a chap named 'lefty' Gardner.  It was used as an air racer, and then did lots of air shows in the US through the 80s and early 90s.  The family that owned it, couldn't keep up with the growing costs, and it eventually caught fire in the air, and was forced to land in a farmers field, gear up.  Lefty wanted to fix it, and I don't remember if it was damaged to badly, or the family just ran out of cash or if Lefty died or something, but it ended up being sold to Redbull and restored, extensively, and they kept the early cowls. Last time I looked into it, it was based somewhere in Europe. 

Also, look at the left radiator exhaust doors, I wonder if the engine is running hot, and he has them open to cool it down, or if he forgot to close them?

a before pic

533221_3c5822ac34348eac75b9e833ea328bb6_

I think he just runs with them open in cruise - you only really need to close the doors when pushing the airframe (fast climbing or fast cruise), so why not just leave them open as much as possible to extend the life of the engine? 

otKKouA.jpg