Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

Interesting load out. 8 SDBs and a Lightening 2 Pod. I've also noticed a trend lately of AIM-120s on wingtip stations instead of AIM-9s.

One of the reasons I've seen for this is that in an engagement, it is expected that the 120s will be fired first at a longer range.  After they are gone, the F-16 would then (I suppose) have better dogfighting performance when it has closed the distance.  There could be other stuff going on as well though.

15780738_921060947993538_218064328639569

US Marine Corps mechanics service a Royal Navy Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 (s/n WE790). According to the original caption this was a Royal Australian Navy aircraft. RAN 805 and 808 Squadrons operated from the aircraft carrier HMAS Sydney (R17) off Korea between 4 October 1951 and 27 January 1952. In the background is a Vought F4U-4 Corsair. Unusual is the lack of any tail code on either aircraft. Circa 1951. - Korean War in Color

tumblr_ocefpefZgw1rqpszmo2_540.jpg

tumblr_ocefpefZgw1rqpszmo3_540.jpg

tumblr_ocefpefZgw1rqpszmo4_540.jpg

tumblr_ocefpefZgw1rqpszmo5_540.jpg

tumblr_ocefpefZgw1rqpszmo1_540.jpg

Hey neat! Never seen this before. a 6 gun experimental remote chin turret for the B-17G.

"Experimental 6-barrel tower remotely-controlled turret on b-17G, tail number 42-31435 SU-S, “WEST END” , flying in the composition of the 384 bomb group, U.S. air force, 1944."