Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

MiG 1.44 Returns

Scolopax

Oh, that is rather close.

I'm pretty dubious that MiG is working on anything serious.  Where would the money come from?  Will India suddenly have an attack of sanity and realize that they should just buy all their weapons from Russia and stop trying to make them on their own so they can focus on activities they're good at?

I'm pretty dubious that MiG working on anything serious.  Where would the money come from?  Will India suddenly have an attack of sanity and realize that they should just buy all their weapons from Russian and stop trying to make them on their own so they can focus on activities they're good at?

Welp,  with the Rafale deal looking to be smaller, there is talk of a MiG-35 purchase.

I'm pretty dubious that MiG working on anything serious.  Where would the money come from?  Will India suddenly have an attack of sanity and realize that they should just buy all their weapons from Russian and stop trying to make them on their own so they can focus on activities they're good at?

I suspect that the LMFS (or whatever it will be called) will take a lot from current models in order to keep costs down, along with tech from the T-50. Development probably wouldn't cost much as a result, it is the production process that could get expensive...then again, in large enough quantity, it could be done. 

MiG will be getting at least 1 contract for the -35 with the Russian MOD, and probably a few others elsewhere. I suspect that India will buy a few to begin replacing their older MiG's (something that the Rafale, FGFA, and Tejas can not do). That would easily give the company enough money to get everything in motion. 

I'd also think that India will help fund it, for an eventual technology transfer (they want to build their own lightweight fifth gen). 

qyJvDzT.jpg

Scrutinizing LooSeR's picture a little more.

Note that the ventral fins have moving control surfaces on them, as do the little segments between the tail stingers and the engines.

What was the purpose of these additional control surfaces?  To provide better redundancy for the flight control system in case others became inoperable or were damaged?  Were the moving ventral fins to provide directional authority at extreme AOA?