Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Escapist art. Picture of things that don't exist, comrades.

LoooSeR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for some speculative zoology.

Speculative zoology is the creation of fictional animals in a naturalistic, biologically informed manner.  This isn't the Middle Ages, and nobody believes that pelicans feed their own young with their blood, nor that beavers bite off their own testicles to confuse hunters.  So it makes sense that made-up animals would be described to conform as much as possible to sensible, realistic behavior.  A lot of speculative zoology is speculative evolution; flights of fancy on what might have evolved had mass extinctions left different survivors, or if the dice had simply landed another side up.

the_tale_of_the_tiger_and_the_wolf_by_sh

Art for sheather888's cute story about warrahs and thylacines in the future

something_in_the_water_by_trollmans-da9w

Trollman's Tiamate, a big, hypothetical freshwater choristodere.  Choristoderes, by the way, are one of my favorite obscure fossil reptile groups.  They were mostly aquatic, vaguely crocodile-looking things that actually survived the asteroid that polished off the dinosaurs, only to bite it in the Miocene for obscure reasons.  A few were mini-plesiosaur looking things with elongated necks.  Tiamate presumably evolved from such stock.

nea___oliver_s_hairy_armadillo_by_clawed

An armadillo, originally of Terran stock, introduced to another planet and evolved.

on_the_hunt_by_clawedfrog-d9fyt4x.png

A ratsnake, from Nemo ramjet's terrifying bestiary of harpoon-penised, faceless monstrosities.

flaghorns___dermatoceratinae_by_electree

A flaghorn deer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I KNEW THAT AARON. YOU SOLD YOUR SOUL TO ACTIVISION!!!1111

Aaron's wotk for Call Of Duty - Space wars and shit 

with comments (i cutted all praising to IW and Activision)

CODIW_SATOvSDF_01.jpg

The C12 walking tank

CODIW_C12_01.jpg

The C12 was the first thing I designed for the project, and it turned out great. The brief was for a walking tank, an enemy robot with a threatening presence, bristling with armaments. I love the right hand appendage, a combination door breaching hammer and articulated claw. The arms are mounted on curved shoulder rails, so they can rotate around and track various targets. There is so much articulation in this guy, it really taxed the rigging department! Bone count be dammed! ha ha

C6 combat robot

CODIW_C6_01.jpg

This is the accompanying human sized enemy robot, the C6. A menacing eyeless axe shaped sensor head is mounted on a 360° degree swiveling pintle frame, so the head can target you from any angle. I imagined the player shoot one in the back, only to have the head spin 180° round and target you, the weapon following a split second behind, helped by the highly mobile shoulder and upper arm sections, allowing the robot to move in ways a human can't, and creating a unique adversary.

SDF soldier

CODIW_SDF_soldiers_01.jpg

A couple of variations on the standard SDF enemy soldiers. The idea was to create an iconic look, something clearly a guy in a suit, but still dehumanised and threatening enough to make them clearly the badguys, and worthy of killing by the hundreds. I added some frames to the 'muzzle', similar to the mounts on a modern day soldiers helmet, that can have additional optics or emergency breathing apparatus attached, to create an aggressive look. The reinforced polymer face pieces have a variable opacity laminate, I imagined a scene where you see a soldier seal up his transparent mask, then the mask turns cloudy white from the bottom up, obscuring the face and turning the visage into an eyeless skull. These SDF soldiers live in their suits, and have multiple redundancy life support systems, with visible added connective cable and hoses, to create a unique inside-out look to contrast against the clean and slick suits of the Earth forces.

Ethan robo-bro

CODIW_Ethan_body_01.jpg

Ethan, or E3N, the buddy brobot you as the player have alongside for the game. This guy was fun to design, and I love how the head and upper arms worked out. My brother was the inspiration for this character, he's a big badass dude with the right friendly demeanor that I thought was perfect for this robot. I wanted Ethan to look and feel like someone who would have your back in battle, and be down for some extreme sports in down time. My bro is into motocross, so for the articulated pistons on Ethan's neck, I gave him gold cylinders to reflect the awesome looking forks you find on race bikes. Ethan's head is also a combination of elements from a motocross helmet, with articulated lens hood pieces from a camera lens, and the top hood piece forming a cap and visor peak shape. 

CODIW_Ethan_head_01.jpg

Really happy with how his head was resolved. It's tough to come up with a unique and iconic robot head with the right character and ability to emote. 

Marine helmets

CODIW_marine_helmet_01.jpg

The final design for the UNSA SATO Marine helmets. With the hero Marines, I wanted to create a rugged and tough suit that paid homage to some classic Marine ideas. Mainly the thick armoured neck and arms. The thick neck was an attempt to create a different silhouette than the usual space suit form of thin neck/big helmet. I kept the helmet as slim and 'operator' as possible, while pumping up the neck, to create a unique look that feels badass, and harks to the leatherneck moniker of the Marines.

CODIW_marine_armour_01.jpg

CODIW_marine_sleeve_01.jpg

With the arms I wanted the suit to feel like the rolled-up-sleeves look that's popular with Marines, and seen in some classic movies like Aliens. The lower arm sections and neck utilise mechanical pressure to protect from the vacuum of space, while the rest of the outfit is a traditional gas pressure space suit. Taking inspiration from the latest concepts of future space suits from places like NASA, with their elasticated tight fitting sleeves and lines of non-extension, I created a rugged military look with a thick armoured feel and beefy grid like pattern. 

And MP skins/"Rigs"

RIGS_warfighter_A_gfx_01.jpg

RIGS_merc_C_gfx_01.jpg

RIGS_synaptic_C_gfx_01.jpg

RIGS_ftl_A_gfx_01.jpg

RIGS_phantom_A_gfx_01.jpg

RIGS_stryker_A_gfx_03.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...