Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The interesting ship photos/art thread.

Belesarius

• 2 weeks later...

Aurora is back to St.Petersburg after repairs.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2021985.html

0_1d6b83_c1d79f25_orig.jpg

0_1d6b86_6d43fc4f_orig.jpg

0_1d6b87_27cc3554_orig.jpg

0_1d6b88_bdd9e4bd_orig.jpg

0_1d6b8b_34cf213d_orig.jpg

0_1d6b8c_97698072_orig.jpg

0_1d6b8d_13b8aa6f_orig.jpg

0_1d6b8f_34fa0c06_orig.jpg

0_1d6b90_98938b56_orig.jpg

0_1d6b92_aa8e0491_orig.jpg

0_1d6b93_a64e2791_orig.jpg

0_1d6b95_dc42b434_orig.jpg

0_1d6b96_22e9f655_orig.jpg

0_1d6b98_1f130bb5_orig.jpg

0_1d6b99_7610fafa_orig.jpg

0_1d6b9a_9189bba2_orig.jpg

0_1d6b9c_fe83168_orig.jpg

0_1d6b9d_b0d7a314_orig.jpg

0_1d6b9f_140ed063_orig.jpg

0_1d6ba1_4b93c380_orig.jpg

It is now on the other side of bridge from my work place. On the photo you can see a tip of the building on the left, where the office is (Petrovskiy Fort)

0_1d6ba2_f189d7bc_orig.jpg

0_1d6ba3_ce1f7baf_orig.jpg

0_1d6ba6_b63462a6_orig.jpg

0_1d6bab_a7820ebe_orig.jpg

0_1d6baf_9cd17cbb_orig.jpg

0_1d6bb1_fd635c23_orig.jpg

0_1d6bb4_3ecdb88d_orig.jpg

0_1d6bb5_7477d35_orig.jpg

My recollection is that early naval nuclear reactor design was all over the place.  They weren't really sure what they were doing in those days.

Thing is, good luck ever finding anyone who knows what the improvements actually are.  Or someone who knows who will talk.  Or figuring it out from any sort of textbook; you can find all sorts of resources on the minutiae of civil boiling water reactor design.  Extrapolating that to fast neutron designs seems dubious.

So yeah, it's definitely better now, but I'm not sure exactly in what ways it's better now.

Without going beyond what's on wiki, the US Navy has tested reactors that don't need coolant pumps (at some power levels) and don't have control rods.

As far as reactor design being all over the place in the early years, well, the S1G existed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread needs more Kirov-class goodness:

YEPvhaM.jpg

R7z86yd.jpg

lLzlwlE.jpg

I'd read that these things were huge, but it didn't hit me how huge they were until I realized that they displace only slightly less than a WWII era Essex-class fleet carrier.

The propulsion is bizarre too; nuclear plant for cruise, and an auxiliary oil-fired boiler that can be turned on when it needs extra giddyup.  Surprisingly, they're not especially fast; with both propulsion systems running they're about half a knot faster than the Iowa-class battleships that were recommissioned in response to these monsters.

Basically that's a Mark III quad turret yet to be fitted to a ship that was used specifically on the second King George V class of battleships in a rather bizarre 4-2-|-4 gun turret layout for it's x10 14"/45 Mark 7 main guns.

One rather annoying design quirk in the photo you can see is that you have to painstakingly take apart the entire gun housing just to change out a single barrel, and considering how fast battleship main gun barrels wear out, I'm really not sure who thought that was a great idea.

Basically that's a Mark III quad turret yet to be fitted to a ship that was used specifically on the second King George V class of battleships in a rather bizarre 4-2-|-4 gun turret layout for it's x10 14"/45 Mark 7 main guns.

One rather annoying design quirk in the photo you can see is that you have to painstakingly take apart the entire gun housing just to change out a single barrel, and considering how fast battleship main gun barrels wear out, I'm really not sure who thought that was a great idea.

The 4-2-4 layout makes sense, the B turret is the most expensive in terms of stability and you need a quad turret to hit 10 guns with only three turrets (good for weight, barbettes are heavy).

The way you can tell it's not French is that the French turrets were internally subdivided so rather than four evenly spaced barrels they had two pairs. I think that's part of the reason they were unreasonably inaccurate until fitted with delay coils (I know it was postwar for the Richelieus). Shells are very fast and to get them to land close you need to get them to fly basically the same path, so if you have to fire them around the same time (and not doing so for guns off the centerline isn't in the cards until quads because they move the turret off line). So you've got shells flying very fast, very close, and their flight is to very precise tolerances.

Part of that is just that the KGVs were quite heavily armored. A comparison of the North Carolina class and the KGVs shows that you can armor for or arm with a reasonable number of 16" guns. Pick one.

Speaking of the North Carolinas and to a lesser degree quad turrets...