Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Syrian conflict.

LoooSeR

What I'm getting is a lot of hand-wringing on the part of the Syrians that "EHRMAALLAH! YOU'RE HELPING THE TERRORISTS" instead of any definitive proof that they were not the ones responsible for the chemical weapons attack. Based on their reactions it tells me that one way or the other, the attack originated from that base. Now you can debate whether it was a mistake or whether it was a rogue officer or whether this attack was directed by Bashar al Assad himself. Either way, that sort of excuse making isn't going to cut it. And it certainly isn't going to cut it with President Trump.

I don't know if the Syrians have been getting their news from CNN or what but this sort of nonsense wasn't going to fly. You can gas your civilians all day long when you have a limpwristed cuck like Obama as President. You can't pull it with Trump. Trump doesn't give a rats ass about your petty sectarian differences between Alawites and Sunnis and whatever. All he knows is that he turns on the TV at Mara Lago, sees nerve gassed kids and knows that it makes him look bad if he does nothing about it. Furthermore, there actually is a humanitarian side of the God Emperor which was no doubt twinged as well. Seeing kids who are the age of his son Barron gassed probably pissed him off.

Again, going forward, it would behoove the Syrian government to grovel. Grovel and beg for forgiveness. Bring in weapons inspectors. Turn over any chemical weapons they have. And if they don't have chemical weapons, to fucking find some so they can turn them over. And if the Syrians don't, the Russians better make them.

27 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

All sorts of groups hold all sorts of cities and villages. 

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean?

Just take a look at Mosul for example, it's been months and it's still not recaptured and it has already cost thousands and thousands of casualties. "Insignificant", sure.

17 minutes ago, Donward said:

What I'm getting is a lot of hand-wringing on the part of the Syrians that "EHRMAALLAH! YOU'RE HELPING THE TERRORISTS" instead of any definitive proof that they were not the ones responsible for the chemical weapons attack. Based on their reactions it tells me that one way or the other, the attack originated from that base.

The thing is though that, for as far as we know, all ammunition storages on the airbase have been hit. The US says that the CW attack originated from the airbase. But even though ammunition storages have been hit, there have been zero reports of nerve gas being released at the airbase. So if the CW attack did originate from this airbase, you'd it must have been done with the single nerve gas bomb they had?

Also, isn't there a thing with law about "innocent until proven guilty"? Sure, they don't have definitive proof they're innocent, but it's not on them to provide proof they were innocent. It's on others to prove they were guilty. At least that's my understanding of law.

Again, going forward, it would behoove the Syrian government to grovel. Grovel and beg for forgiveness. Bring in weapons inspectors. Turn over any chemical weapons they have. And if they don't have chemical weapons, to fucking find some so they can turn them over. And if the Syrians don't, the Russians better make them.

You do know that the Syrian government did allow for an inspection, right? http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39517960

Walid Muallem told the BBC it would have to be non-political, involve "many countries" and "start from Damascus" before his government could accept.

12 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

Just take a look at Mosul for example, it's been months and it's still not recaptured and it has already cost thousands and thousands of casualties. "Insignificant", sure.

The thing is though that, for as far as we know, all ammunition storages on the airbase have been hit. The US says that the CW attack originated from the airbase. But even though ammunition storages have been hit, there have been zero reports of nerve gas being released at the airbase. So if the CW attack did originate from this airbase, you'd it must have been done with the single nerve gas bomb they had?

Also, isn't there a thing with law about "innocent until proven guilty"? Sure, they don't have definitive proof they're innocent, but it's not on them to provide proof they were innocent. It's on others to prove they were guilty. At least that's my understanding of law.

You do know that the Syrian government did allow for an inspection, right? http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39517960

Again, you act like that matters. Making excuses isn't going to cut it with Donald Trump. Total submission and begging for forgiveness might come close.

And no, there isn't a law about innocent until proven guilty with nation states. Particularly tinpot little shitholes like Syria. 

Also, Assad doesn't get to attach conditions on any inspections. He gets to submit entirely or else Donald Trump will drag him out of Damascus by his heels. 

It's like people are acting like Barrack Obama is still President. It's like they haven't watched the US election in the last two years. Donald Trump doesn't CARE. If he makes up his mind to do something, he will do it. And he gives zero fucks what the poll numbers are, what the Establishment thinks and certainly not what a bunch of world leaders think. 

If he wants something to get done, it will get done. And Assad better hope that Trump doesn't want his head on a gold platter because silver platters are for poor people.

29 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

What it is supposed to mean, is that ISIS is insignificant to the power struggle between the east and west.

Think the US cares about ISIS? They're only bombing them because Iraq is struggling with them.

Think the Russians care about them? They're only bombing them because they need a Syrian port. 

Russia's been bombing other terrorist groups that oppose Assad but also oppose ISIS, and none's been blaming them for supporting ISIS.

1 hour ago, Bronezhilet said:

So basically you're saying that in essence we better accept Trump as the leader of the world, OR ELSE.

Gotcha. Good to know.

Trump already is the leader of the free world. Not Obama. Not Clinton. It seems the Syrians hadn't gotten this memo.

What I'm saying is launching chemical weapons is stupid. It's sloppy. You can rape and kill and starve and genocide and displace your populace all day long, dropping barrel bombs and calling in artillery strikes or whatever. The world doesn't care.

But we do care about nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. You don't use them. Because them's the arbitrary rules that the world plays by.

And what's annoying is that lies told by the Syrians have been different than the lies told by the Russians and the lies told yesterday are different than the lies told today about the Sarin gas attack.

No matter.

If the Syrians - and the Russians - are smart they'd understand that this was a very deliberate and measured retaliation. The simple solution is to not conduct chemical attacks on civilian populations again. Because if the Assad regime conducts another chemical attack, it's not going to be a paltry five percent of the Syrian Air Force that gets smashed up in their hangers, Trump will order the entire fleet destroyed along with any armored vehicles, command and control centers and weapons depots that can be found.

Trump doesn't make weak-kneed speeches. He acts. And he'll act before he makes an announcement to the press or the UN, not after like the previous Administration. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/secretary-state-rex-tillerson-change-us-military-position/story?id=46674777

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says the U.S. position on Syria hasn't changed after American warships launched a military strike on an air base in Syria Thursday in response to a deadly chemical weapons attack that killed at least 70 civilians earlier in the week.

"We are asking Russia to fulfill its commitment and we're asking and calling on Bashar al-Assad to cease the use of these weapons. Other than that, there is no change to our military posture," Tillerson told ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos in an interview that will air Sunday on "This Week."

Washington informed the government of the Russian Federation about the incoming strike early enough for the Russians to deploy one of their UAVs to monitor the attack. 

And then he asks. 

The Russian Ministry of Defense further claimed that only 23 out of 59 Tomahawks fired by the U.S. Navy reached their targets. How the Russians “know” this remains unclear...

I think he already answered his question. 

https://warisboring.com/u-s-cruise-missiles-struck-syrian-base-with-impressive-precision/

Question, I know the source of this is Ezra Klein (many keks) but how accurate is the narrative?

I understand there's a narrative at play with this but what are the issues with them as presented here? I'm a bit weak with my knowledge of the origins of the Syria civil war.

https://www.facebook.com/ezraklein/videos/10153737513773410/

10 hours ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

_95489696_6644e4e4-1f02-4262-bed4-60dfd6

syria-chemical-attack5.jpg

C8kp1xyXsAAdxTA.jpg

Pictures of this one crater from different angles is all I've seen

Yes, i saw those. I wanted close-up photos. For example ANNA news footage from Shayrat base shows a lot of parts of cruise missiles with markings.