Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Swedish AFV Thread: Not Just Strv 103s

LostCosmonaut

• 2 months later...

Two of the most prevalent and irritating myths on the Web are;-

1. The S-Tank was designed as a tank destroyer or as a tank only fit for just defensive missions.

2. The Merkava was designed for asymmetric combat in an urban environment, rather than full scale armour versus armour battle.

Both these myths are endlessly propagated and make me want to spit feathers.

• 4 weeks later...

I knew the Strv 103 could engage targets quickly on the move, but to be honest I'm surprised it was so much slower in engaging targets from rest. I'm gonna get to see a couple in a few days, by the way, as the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles has its open house this weekend. Always thought it was a neat little vehicle.

zYpkLwC.jpg

trolling.png:

OCW4nhf.png

(from a blog post I'm working on; inb4 british lynch mob)

e: I actually have individual names on these guys but calling them out in person is, uh, a bit much. most of them are probably alive today.

I wonder if this is a long term problem with British tankers seeing as they had a rougher time in WW2 than the Americans did. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://world-of-kwg.livejournal.com/330988.html

Basically there are two main parts:

1) Swedish blueprints suck, the tank in the first picture clips through the front of the hull/engine deck at its allegedly allowed elevation and depression angles 

2) SP15 complains about the authenticity of the Swedish tech tree while shoving dumb impossible guns (see below) into his proposals and not getting in touch with WG staff about it despite having contacts to do so.

1cmISpG.jpg

The EMIL sketches were very early concept drawings and I agree with Pasholok that it doesn't make sense to assume they're what the tank would actually look like in reality. On top of that there were like a good dozen variants proposed and drawings for only one of them have survived.

That drawing he posts in connection to the Lago is actually the Terro which is a completely different tank, so I don't know what that is about. Most of what he writes about the Lago actually seems to be caused by communications problems really, I think we're actually in agreement on the facts.

It is also true that the drawings we've found of complete tanks usually don't match up very well to what was actually built, but that doesn't surprise me all that much given that they were usually drawn up before the tank building actually started.

Other than that, yes, I agree sp15 acted like a baby throwing a temper tantrum but after talking to him I think he's actually got some trouble going on in real life that might explain him exploding all of a sudden.

I've been poking at a gallery site with old Swedish military press photos, and I figured I might link it and hopefully get some feedback before I link it from the blog/reddit/whatever. Some questions I'm curious about:

- Are just images with a very brief description fine or do you want more context? Usually the images in the photo archives don't come with a lot of context so I'd have to write about the equipment/regiment in general rather than what's specifically in the photo.

- Right now image titles/captions are in Swedish. Is it important to you for them to be in English?

- What should I tag? Right now I've mainly tagged equipment and regiments, is there anything else that would be useful? Not that I have much, usually that + geographical area and date (sometimes only year) is all the metadata I have.

- Is the album split sensible (WW2 parades/WW2 in the field/early cold war/later cold war)?

(feel free to mention anything else that comes to mind, if anything)