Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General cars and vehicles thread.

LoooSeR

It's important to build electric cars with batteries made out of rare earth elements mined in hellish conditions in Third World nations with zero environmental laws by exploited workers so rich, white liberals can feel good about saving the environment by driving a "green" car.

9 minutes ago, Donward said:

It's important to build electric cars with batteries made out of rare earth elements mined in hellish conditions in Third World nations with zero environmental laws by exploited workers so rich, white liberals can feel good about saving the environment by driving a "green" car.

Point of order, it's the electric motors in the cars that require the rare earth elements mined in hellish conditions in the Third World.  The lithium for the batteries comes mostly from Australia and Chile.

53 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Point of order, it's the electric motors in the cars that require the rare earth elements mined in hellish conditions in the Third World.  The lithium for the batteries comes mostly from Australia and Chile.

Indeed. My mind is distracted by other visual sensations atm.

But the point remains, fixing up that junker Chevy Nova from the previous page or the above Dodge van and driving those vehicles is far more environmentally friendly and good for the planet than buying a brand new Tesla off the lot. Even with the Nova and van getting - what - 18-22 miles to the gallon.

8 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I would kill to get 22 miles to the gallon in that nova. With the engine it has? Try 15. Would need a big tune. 

Final goal would be a 5.3L LS chevy swap with a performance EFI self-tuning system and for shits and giggles a turbo. 

I wasn't really paying attention to its powerplant or the car for that matter since I'm not a big Chevy Nova fan.

One of the six cylinder available at the time would push 22 mph though I'm assuming.

At any rate, my point stands about restoring such a vehicle (within reason) and driving it - whether it gets 15 or 22 mph - is far more carbon friendly than making a whole new Tesla in terms of the "carbon footprint". 

Furthermore you could buy a 1978 Chevy Nova two door for - looking at the Denver Craigslist - $3,000 for a beater fixer. Throw $10,000 or $15,000 for a complete frame up restoration, let's be generous. You're at $13,000-18,000. 

A Tesla is around $50,000 and goes up from there as I recall.

The $30,000-$35,0000 price difference will buy you a LOT of gasoline over the average five year lifespan of an American car owner. And after 5 years, that ratty little Chevy Nova will still retain a fair part of its value as compared to any new car which loses 1/3 of its value the second you drive it off the showroom floor.

Oh, I completely agree with your sentiment. I was just doing some drool-worthy postulation. 

Keeping older vehicles running is almost always a better option than buying the newest thing. Certainly better for the environment. Dropping 15k into a Craigslist car would get you something better, more reliable, and easier to keep going than a modern Kia or Hyundai. 

And yes, the amount a vehicle depreciates is insane. Not that I disagree with it, but many peole don't understand that. I've explained it to many friends who were just going through college. They all wanted some nice new car when they graduated. Until I broke down the depreciation of the vehicle. 

That's why you see nearly -new vehicles on Craigslist for 20, 30, 40, upwards of 50 thousand dollars because people wanted to trade it in, but were shocked when the dealer offered them so little for their "new" car.

My daily driver will be a 1995 Chevy Silverado. Chevy small block 5.7L. Not the best in gas, but still beats the hell out of a Prius as far as how "Green" it is. 

1 hour ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I mentioned not liking Chevy Novas earlier. The Vuntura is essentially a rebadged Nova but you got all the neato Pontiac stuff to go with it since it was a higher end car.

$2,500 is a steal.

Cadillac Le Mans Concept car

2358896_original.jpg

Cadillac Le Mans was created in 1953 by the efforts of Harley Earl and designers of Cadillac. The 2-seater roadster received a low profile fiberglass body, streamlined windshield and a V-shaped 8-cylinder engine with a power of 250 hp. A total of 4 cars were produced. The presentation of the car took place in 1953 at the exhibition General Motors Motorama

Spoiler

2359252_original.jpg

2359732_original.jpg

2360050_original.jpg

2360266_original.jpg

2360325_original.jpg

2360760_original.jpg

British Thornycroft Antar truck

2415999_original.jpg

The development of a wheeled tractor intended for the transportation of heavy equipment and large-sized cargo was started by the British engineering firm Thornycroft in the late 1940s. The main customers for the new machine were the British army and representatives of the oil and gas industry. The military needed a truck for transportation of new tanks (Conqueror and Centurion), and for oil companies - a means of delivering drilling equipment to remote areas.
   Specially for the new tractor was developed Rolls-Royce Meteorite engine - special diesel 8-cylinder modification of the carburetor 12-cylinder tank engine Rolls-Royce Meteor. In the British troops, the truck went into service in 1953, and were supplied to the British army until 1986 (replaced by the Scammell Commander)

Spoiler

2416357_original.jpg

2416423_original.jpg

2416870_original.jpg

2417041_original.jpg

2417383_original.jpg

2417658_original.jpg

2417687_original.jpg

2417972_original.jpg