Some stuff I took this past weekend.

Nv5dwus.jpg

GtJh94v.jpg

c6LpeG6.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

VJScLMw.jpg

vFM5cas.jpg

U1q8VkR.jpg

There was also an early Mercury Cougar there that looked pretty cool, but I didn't get a worthy photo of it.

That is a very clean ElCamino.

That it still rolls a six-jug is classy.

16 minutes ago, Donward said:

$8,800 for a plain jane 1972 Chevy Nova?

What sort of madness is this? FFS, there's not even a photo of the motor!!!

Yeah but that's in Craigslist dollars. Which is like $5000 normal dollars when you convert. 

Granted it's hard a lot of work on it and looks straight. Still too high though. 

1 hour ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Yeah but that's in Craigslist dollars. Which is like $5000 normal dollars when you convert. 

Granted it's hard a lot of work on it and looks straight. Still too high though. 

I guess a lot of it would depend on what exactly is meant when "the mechanical work is done". Especially when said mechanical work isn't photographed. 

As is, it has that neat "rat rod" feel. which is fine, in and of itself. It's just hard to justify that sort of expenditure on a Nova. 

12 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Amazon just dropped off my new radiator for my Tacoma. Found a crack in the old one. It lasted for 20 years so I can't complain too much.

Shoddy QC!. I can count the number of radiators I swapped in my Toyota, and have four fingers left!

Over one million miles, on the same radiator.  (And alternator). Those 80's toyota trucks were fucking stout!

(Find the joke)

Edited by Meplat
Shitty spelling due to Bourbon. I blame Evan Williams.

I actually just swapped the alternator out. Had a faulty voltage regulator that was sucking my battery dry and sending surges and killing fuses. While I was in there I swapped all my belts too. 

When my chevy gets back with its BRAND NEW late model Getrag 290 transmission I'll swap the spark plugs in it and then pull the radiator from my tacoma.

I still need to get a new driver's side axle in the tacoma, since I've got a sliced boot.

1 minute ago, Sturgeon said:

That video was hilarious until the GMC went through the barrier, then it became hilarious again when those Arabs launched a Hilux into another truck.

My favorite part is when they launched the red race truck and just nose-dived. 

That's like... 40k worth of work done on the truck itself. For racing. 

And the guys that jump them have two giant tires weighing down the bed so that it sits flat in the air.

29 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

My favorite part is when they launched the red race truck and just nose-dived. 

That's like... 40k worth of work done on the truck itself. For racing. 

And the guys that jump them have two giant tires weighing down the bed so that it sits flat in the air.

Some day I need to see if I can find my Super 8 vid of a "tug of war" between a M37 and a U404 UNIMOG.

Oddly, the M37 won.

By a massive margin.

Granted it had a bed full of water tank, but still.

It stalled out the Benz, and drug it around like a rented whore, basically saying "Fuck yo portal axles!".

New transmission has been installed. 

It's a night and day difference. That old trans was ready to grenade itself. 

Plugs are getting swapped today after work. I gotta delete the oil cooler lines because they suck ass. I have everything I need but time. I have a wedding this whole weekend to go to. 

Need to pull the intake off and reseal the top end of the engine but that's next months hassle.

ATP-543 firefighting vehicle. 

10456295_original.jpg

ATP-543 was created in 1975 in Novosibirsk. Vehicle was created on the chassis of MAZ-543. Water tanks (10 cubic meters) and a frother (2 tons), a telescopic mast, a carriage, and a set of fire-fighting equipment were placed on the it. In total, just two ATP-543 were produced, used until the end of the 80s.

Spoiler

10456326_original.jpg

10456626_original.jpg

On 10/18/2018 at 10:15 AM, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

New transmission has been installed. 

It's a night and day difference. That old trans was ready to grenade itself. 

Plugs are getting swapped today after work. I gotta delete the oil cooler lines because they suck ass. I have everything I need but time. I have a wedding this whole weekend to go to. 

Need to pull the intake off and reseal the top end of the engine but that's next months hassle.

External cooler.  If you know someone who can score one, an old aircraft oil cooler is the berries as a transmission cooler, and they tend to be very cheap.

On 10/19/2018 at 6:14 PM, Meplat said:

External cooler.  If you know someone who can score one, an old aircraft oil cooler is the berries as a transmission cooler, and they tend to be very cheap.

The cooler goes through my radiator. I'm going to go ahead and remove that unit. I can replace it with a standard small block oil filter adapter. I don't tow a ton with this truck so I don't really need it. Just more places for leaks to occur. 

Replaced the spark plugs in my K1500 today. 

The guy I bought the frame/engine from said he'd replaced them "just last year."

44838426_2163803420356257_85264590985337

I'm gonna call slight bullshit.

While I had the truck and tools out I also pulled out my oil cooler assembly.

44865337_265865467400622_730616495880536

Little bastard won't ever stop leaking, so I swapped it with a standard small block chevy oil filter adapter and a low-profile filter.

Also, I realized that this charcoal filter... thing... has 4 vaccuum tubes that needed to go to it. 

43760036_305570760029596_560285221707893

There was only 1 line attached to it, and it looks like it went somewhere towards the rear of the vehicle. 

I went ahead and took it out for grins. This thing is probably clogged all up anyway. 

I'm tempted to pull my entire A/C in the truck as well, as it doesn't work at all and just clutters up the engine bay. @Meplat

1 hour ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Replaced the spark plugs in my K1500 today. 

The guy I bought the frame/engine from said he'd replaced them "just last year."

44838426_2163803420356257_85264590985337

I'm gonna call slight bullshit.

While I had the truck and tools out I also pulled out my oil cooler assembly.

44865337_265865467400622_730616495880536

Little bastard won't ever stop leaking, so I swapped it with a standard small block chevy oil filter adapter and a low-profile filter.

Also, I realized that this charcoal filter... thing... has 4 vaccuum tubes that needed to go to it. 

43760036_305570760029596_560285221707893

There was only 1 line attached to it, and it looks like it went somewhere towards the rear of the vehicle. 

I went ahead and took it out for grins. This thing is probably clogged all up anyway. 

I'm tempted to pull my entire A/C in the truck as well, as it doesn't work at all and just clutters up the engine bay. @Meplat

The charcoal can just collects fuel vapors from the tank and carb when at rest, then burns it when you first start.

The four were probably carb, fuel tank proper, a vent to the overflow/expansion tank, and a signal to the intake manifold.

And yeah, it was probably clogged.  There is a gauzy kind of filter at the base that is supposed to be cleaned every so often.

Getting rid of useless shit under the hood, when and if you can, in the name of improved maintainability and longevity is definitely Meplat approved.

3 hours ago, Meplat said:

The charcoal can just collects fuel vapors from the tank and carb when at rest, then burns it when you first start.

The four were probably carb, fuel tank proper, a vent to the overflow/expansion tank, and a signal to the intake manifold.

And yeah, it was probably clogged.  There is a gauzy kind of filter at the base that is supposed to be cleaned every so often.

Getting rid of useless shit under the hood, when and if you can, in the name of improved maintainability and longevity is definitely Meplat approved.

I still need to pull the intake manifold off and reseal everything. Honestly I want to pull the air conditioning out entirely because it doesn't work. 

On 10/28/2018 at 2:29 AM, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I still need to pull the intake manifold off and reseal everything. Honestly I want to pull the air conditioning out entirely because it doesn't work. 

What part of it does not work?

The cooling or heating?

8 minutes ago, Xoon said:

What part of it does not work?

The cooling or heating?

Air conditioning, so the cooling system. Heater is fine, heater core and lines are solid. The issue is either a leak in t a/c system or a bad compressor/evaporator. No idea what. Haven't dived into it yet. No need, since it's fall and going into winter where I am.

12 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Air conditioning, so the cooling system. Heater is fine, heater core and lines are solid. The issue is either a leak in t a/c system or a bad compressor/evaporator. No idea what. Haven't dived into it yet. No need, since it's fall and going into winter where I am.

Most common issue is that the gas has leaked out.