Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bears can be total assholes. And other bear related news

Donward

Looks like the bears are waking up early again in Alaska.

http://www.adn.com/article/20160408/warm-winter-means-early-awakening-alaska-bears

What this meant last year was that the locals and natives simply shot and disposed of all the nuisance bears before all the cannery workers and fishermen from the Lower 48 showed up.

Unlike the rest of the country, Washington state has had not only Spring weather but 70 degree plus summertime weather. So I imagine the little black bears are beginning to wake up and will begin terrorizing the local neighborhoods and destroying the garbage cans of all the yuppies and computer programmers who have moved out to the suburb and semi-rural areas.

Looks like the bears are waking up early again in Alaska.

http://www.adn.com/article/20160408/warm-winter-means-early-awakening-alaska-bears

What this meant last year was that the locals and natives simply shot and disposed of all the nuisance bears before all the cannery workers and fishermen from the Lower 48 showed up.

Unlike the rest of the country, Washington state has had not only Spring weather but 70 degree plus summertime weather. So I imagine the little black bears are beginning to wake up and will begin terrorizing the local neighborhoods and destroying the garbage cans of all the yuppies and computer programmers who have moved out to the suburb and semi-rural areas.

We had a 90 here on Wednesday!

I don't think Marin county has bears, but the fucking mosquitos are out in force, some big bastards too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brown bears aren't bullet proof and just like every being doesn't like pain.

What the gent said about shot placement is vital and he had the presence to be able to land multiple rounds in the bruin's chest cavity where it probably bled out internally.

With that said, the bear looks smallish and is probably a 3 or 4 year old.

Well done!

Brown bears aren't bullet proof and just like every being doesn't like pain.

What the gent said about shot placement is vital and he had the presence to be able to land multiple rounds in the bruin's chest cavity where it probably bled out internally.

With that said, the bear looks smallish and is probably a 3 or 4 year old.

Well done!

"Buffalo Bore, we load 9x19mm so strong it kills charging Kodiak Bears! Buy our ammo today!"

The marketing writes itself, they never even needed me to shill for them!

Yep.

There are lots of anecdotes.

I have a buddy who lives in Fairbanks that I love having around during fishing since I know if anything goes wrong, it'll happen to him.

He's had numerous run ins with brown bears up there. Once a bear was in his yard - a little two or three year old - and his dog which is half Akita/half some weird Canadian bear murdering hound lived up to its breeding and flat out mudered this stupid brown bear.

He had a hard time convincing the ADF&G warden the veracity of the story.

So now his dog thinks it can kick any brown bear's ass. The next time it tries it with a big sow. Except - oops - the dog realizes it can't win the fight and retreats into his cabin when he opens the door. The bears is of course ten feet behind. Since he was going squirrel hunting - my friend eats squirrel - he only had his Heritage .22 revolver which he emptied gunfighter fashion into the bear's face. It didn't kill it but scared her off.

So sometime goes by and the same shit occurs and his dog picks a fight it can't win. But this time he has his Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum with the HaHa Joker length hog leg barrel. My friend cooly take aim at the bear's head and fires, whereupon the bullet ricocheted off the Bruin's skull.

After THAT incident he did the only logical thing.

No, he didn't shoot his dog.

He bought a 45-70 revolver...

When I was up on the South Naknek beach I happened to run into Brock7142. Or at least something that I mistook for as our resident cyber warfare expert...

BrockBearShit_zpskxhgtaw7.jpg

If anyone ever asks if a bear shits in the woods? 

My experience is usually no.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...