Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

A well-polished game can be fun, but publishers need to let developers try things. The New Order was fun as all hell, but I can't think of more than 2 or 3 publishers that would have let the game release as it did.

That is true. It just seems like everyone is getting stuck in the "CallofDutyfield 37; This time with Robots". Just getting boring. 

I don't normally rage, but the Overwatch beta got me there. Pubbies always run straight up the main road, and never look behind themselves.

Brickfight when playing DotA 2 Overwatch

(I'd like to mention that, this is the team captain of EG, who won 1st and the near 7 million dollar first prize at Ti5 last year, just keep that in mind for how salty your average DotA 2 player is.)

I guess I also have to be the guy who says it: Call of Duty looks like shit today. And that's not just a knock on graphical performance. You can make a presentable game with the proper art design and direction if you have a poor engine. Hell, I think the original Metroid Prime still looks good held up to other games of today. Call of Duty doesn't need to achieve parity with Battlefield. Unfortunately, they have neither graphical power nor good art direction, and the current CoDs lack any sort of interesting visuals, with only minor jumps between games so that it's becoming difficult to differentiate them.

I guess I also have to be the guy who says it: Call of Duty looks like shit today. And that's not just a knock on graphical performance. You can make a presentable game with the proper art design and direction if you have a poor engine. Hell, I think the original Metroid Prime still looks good held up to other games of today. Call of Duty doesn't need to achieve parity with Battlefield. Unfortunately, they have neither graphical power nor good art direction, and the current CoDs lack any sort of interesting visuals, with only minor jumps between games so that it's becoming difficult to differentiate them.

In last 5-6 years each Call of Duty was basically a reskin of previous one. Game mechanics (shooting, there are no more other game mechanics), are exactly the same. All interesting stuff was made as a script events/story-allowed use in certain places and not a game mechanics when you choose to use it (all those exoabilities in CoD AW). In CoD BO all "exo"/cyber abilities were very uninteresting, barely used.

Overal, each year we are getting same CoD MW2/3 game with less and less game creativity, and more "cinematic experience". At least their art department is actually working on things, as they do all that reskin stuff.    

Looks exciting

Yeah, I've been playing the hell out of it. An interesting mix of 4X and grand strategy, with probably my favorite tech system I've seen in a strategy game. Instead of the usual tech tree, techs are more like cards in a deck, weighted based on their rarity, so every game is different and every faction unlocks different things. And being a Paradox game, it's extremely moddable, so I expect complete overhaul mods for Warhammer 40K, Star Wars, Star Trek, Mass Effect, etc. to come out within a few months. Highly recommended.

Realistic games always age terribly compared to games with stylized art. It's more fundamental than gravity.

Realistic games always age terribly compared to games with stylized art. It's more fundamental than gravity.

That, and I think the "tangible future" setting turns people off. Covering everything in clean white plastic panels is horribly limiting in visual style, and you could probably line up a bunch of media that use that style and have a harder time telling them apart than WW2 games. It's not hopeless, because media like the Aliens franchise know how to throw in something relatable to give interesting visual flair.