Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

Yes to both I guess?

They did some things I like with the game:

-Guns are no longer pinpoint accurate to the sights. They were in BF4 and it was a mess. People could nail you full-auto from hundred meters away with an SMG and it created mass dead zones in the giant maps. It also created a gameplay meta really similar to Call of Duty, but more on that later. Now, semi-autos and SMGs disperse from center the more/faster you fire while LMGs get more accurate the longer you hold down the trigger. It results in being able to use more of the map than before because of more misses.

-Every little escaping carbon vapor on your character doesn't mark you on the mini-map. People will only show up on the mini-map if they're manually spotted or spotted by a sniper's flare gun. This was the other thing that turned BF3 and especially BF4 into a CoD-like, where people were staring at their mini-map 90% of the time and shooting around corners because they knew where everyone was. I was wondering why I hated 4 so much and a friend of mine who loves watching BF streamers linked me to some of their videos and they were just sprinting and bunny hopping and it looked CoD as hell and I didn't pick the game back up. Now, you and your team have to use actual effort and eyeballs to spot enemies.

-Vehicles are more self-contained. There's no longer a class that has a repair tool that you can just pick. You can spawn on tanks, horses or planes from the spawn menu only (cars just spawn at points around the map and you jump into one after spawning. You can also get into any abandoned tank/plane/horse), and when you do so, you spawn as a "pilot" class that gives you a C96 carbine (assuming more options in full release), a repair tool, and some AT grenades. This results in less people vehicle wasting by using a plane as a personal taxi to go get infantry kills since the Carbine is kind of poopy. The pilot of a vehicle can also fix their vehicle by holding X to repair chunks of about 20 HP at a time. You can only look around at this time, and any damage at all interrupts this and you have to restart the process. Some people don't like it, but I prefer it to the old way of praying that there's an engineer nearby and that he spawned with a repair tool, or risking jumping out of your vehicle to do it yourself and some fucking dillhole jumps into it and runs off.

-A few other vehicle things. For one, you have a sort of "ready rack" feature for tanks. For cannons, you can hold about 5-7 rounds before you reach zero and have to start reloading to get another shot (loading to your "rack" takes more time than if you just had a fresh round waiting). Other thing is that it doesn't look like they're doing that stupid thing like in 4 where you could customize each chunk of the vehicle and locking you out of really useful stuff. There's pre-determined loadouts to do different things, now.

-Melee is good and useful. The times I've played as a scout (sniper) class, I've been able to help my team in close quarters by using melee or bayonet charges.

-Some people hate that the new Conquest scoring system doesn't take kills into account, but I like it. Too many matches were lost because teams I was on that played the objectives lost to campers  (most notably in 3 and 4)

-The armored train is neat. In case anyone didn't know there are certain factors that determine that once a round, each team will get a "behemoth," essentially something like a zeppelin or armored train that has lots of little killing stations on it. These vehicles are destructible and usually issued to a team that's not doing well. The train can park at three different cap zones to capture them while dealing out crazy damage, but that still leaves something like 4 other cap zones that the enemy team can still cap without trouble, so it's not an "easy win" button, but more of a "chance to play catch-up" button.

Some bad things:

-I wlll breathe a sweet sigh of fucking relief when multiplayer gaming is rid of locking essential weapons and items behind progression. Tanks are unbalanced as hell right now because the only long-range personal AT weapon is locked behind a progression system (that is bugged in the beta so it takes forever to get), and the other is a special pickup that's way out in the desert. It's one thing to say "Well that's the skinner box" (it actually isn't), but it's another to have a hamster demand to be given the Skinner Box over any other option at all.

-They put a 20 minute timer on all rounds, so there are no comebacks or any idea of how long Conquest rounds will last.

-Rush game mode is really dull because it's down to 12 v 12 and they give each side tanks, so you can have both of the entire teams sitting in tanks not doing anything. 

-When DICE says "beta" they give you a fucking beta. It's bugged to hell and my early purchase is really hinging on seeing how many of these they fix.

-This can be a pro or can, but tanks are really hard to kill, and it's exacerbated by the AT weapon progression thing. It's hard to get an idea of the balance when an essential balancing tool is almost non-existent in the game right now.

-The map's kind of boring. It's not bad, but the alpha got this really cool-looking French countryside map and we got a desert map.

Agreed with most, but you can unlock the AT rocket gun via the website pretty easily (www.battlefield.com/career afaik), and it's pretty freaking good versus tanks. If the tank isn't paying attention you can kill it without running out of ammo. Something which wasn't possible with the AT grenades, K bullets, etc.

Agreed with most, but you can unlock the AT rocket gun via the website pretty easily (www.battlefield.com/career afaik), and it's pretty freaking good versus tanks. If the tank isn't paying attention you can kill it without running out of ammo. Something which wasn't possible with the AT grenades, K bullets, etc.

Yeah, but that was also a glitch that was patched out. I'm just saying there's literally no point in locking out such an important piece of kit.

Well that was very unimpressive. While I still enjoy CoD 4's campaign, that game pissed me off because it caused the death of immersion in shooters with its "hit marker +100 points +25 bonus pointsyou ranked up master seargeant shooter person bloody screen you unlocked this gun and this scope" etc. route to HUDs that even infect single-player shooters these days.

Yeah, but that was also a glitch that was patched out. I'm just saying there's literally no point in locking out such an important piece of kit.

Ah didn't know it was patched. And yes, it should be a default unlock. 

Well that was very unimpressive. While I still enjoy CoD 4's campaign, that game pissed me off because it caused the death of immersion in shooters with its "hit marker +100 points +25 bonus pointsyou ranked up master seargeant shooter person bloody screen you unlocked this gun and this scope" etc. route to HUDs that even infect single-player shooters these days.

Exactly, I don't know why all these pop-ups have to be there, the random shit noises. I just want to play a good shooter, fuck off with random ass shit, please, CoD. 

So I've been practicing editing and such lately to try to get a Youtube thing off the ground. One project I'm working on is putting together a review of the Total War series, and so far I guess I'll put a condensed version here for kicks:

Rome 1: This one tends to age poorly and well at the same time for me. The battles have aged surprisingly-well, and even outdo modern TW battles in some ways. My favorite feature in particular is how when a unit that's beating another unit will keep advancing, they slowly push the frontline backwards and envelope the enemy. It both looks really cool and creates tactical situations that allow for satsifying encirclements. The campaign map is so much more simple than later games. You can build any building, anywhere, so less fucking around waiting forever to replenish units and build armies that becomes really obnoxious starting with Napoleon.

Medieval 2: Kind of torn on this game. The battles can be clunky, as the intentionally slow moving speed of units can make it unclear if your orders went through, and the pathfinding (especially in towns) is absolute garbo. But they absolutely nailed the feel of armored units just wailing on each other. Like Rome 1, the grand strategy component is something I've grown to like very recently, as it is simple and just serves to get into big battles.

Empire: I got this one surprisingly late, and I wished I hadn't. I understand a lot of the issues people have with this game, but I'm enjoying just how crazy is it is in terms of unique units and how cartoonishly weird the campaign map can get when you take a turn and just noticed that Prussia just gifted Poland to the Iroquois Nations. This is a personal gripe, but I hate how this started naval battles in the series. As a campaign thing, it's just more time I have to spend building and recruiting. It would be fine if the naval battles weren't like watching twenty blind sloths trying to mate in a pool of molasses. They're plodding, buggy, and I never understood why I won or lost a single one of these in terms of mechanics.

Napoleon: It's alright. The musket gameplay of Empire is really refined and expanded-upon here, and is really fun to engage in. Unfortunately, something about the presentation is just very dull. It's all well put-together and gets you into lots of battles and all that, but I feel like they made Empire and felt like they had to make this game. This is kind of where I started to have gripes about the campaign map, too. It becomes very time restrictive while also forcing you to spend much more time planning and clicking and planning and clicking, rather than getting into massive battles.

Shogun 2: Probably the most well-presented TW game. The music, art, graphics, and design just show that this was a passion project for the entire team. Unfortunately for me, this one upped the game in terms of piddling around on the campaign map, as you had to carefully plan cities to get you the right types of units. This results in certain moments of the campaign forcing me to spend about a 1:10 ratio of time in favor of carefully planning cities and building armies versus actually fighting in battles. This is a shame, because the battles are beautiful, with some unique units that are fun to utilize in creative ways. Unfortunately, this game highlighted issues with the engine for me. As the first melee-focused game in the series to use Empire's engine, the battles are locked into these animated 1v1 duels that look like a bunch of inflatable punching clowns trying to have an orgy. The units will only fight on a pre-determined frontline. None of the push-back in Rome 1 and Medieval 2, and it just looks alien in certain situations. I overall do have a very positive opinion on this game, but there are a few things in retrospect that I wish it did better.

Rome II: I wasn't around for the release of this game after seeing how awful of a reception it got, but I bought it recently, and was pleasantly surprised with how much I like it. The campaign map is thankfully simplified again, and the game actually gives people nice tutorials. The UI is also very well laid-out for both battles and the campaign map. The battles are a mixed bag. They apparently had a massive problem with the "duel" system from Shogun 2 in this game that basically busted as the battles were hurt both in terms of look and function by some AI features and the fact that units were hardlocked into 1v1 duels only. This is apparent in new builds of the game by the fact that each unit has maybe one or two slow "attack" animations of them awkwardly jabbing their weapons, but you no longer have the issue of a unit of five spearmen holding out against a thousand surrounding swordsmen because none of the swordsmen can use numbers to gang up on them. This was improved, but the look of the battles is very disappointing. The static nature just means two units fight, one wins. Flanking is only really helpful for morale shocks, and doesn't give you as much of a noticeable killing edge as Rome 1/Medieval 2. Also, what were once passive abilities like heavier charges for cavalry, are now special activated abilities, that you have to switch on each time you want to use them. So unlike earlier games where a cavalry unit's charges were more powerful the faster they moved, you now have to charge, then activate a special ability one by one for each cavalry unit. A really dumb system. Overall, I really do like the game. I just wished that the battles didn't look so bleh.

Attila: God, I wish I could like this game. They did some really neat things with the battles here, but it feels like the developers just didn't want us to play them this time. No, most of the time you will be on the campaign map, fussing over politics, building farms that piss people off more than empty lots, and trying to predict how the AI will cheat next. The AI has been pumped up to ridiculous levels, only engaging you if they have the auto-resolve completely in their favor. This results in enemies using pixel-perfect cheats and bullshit to sneak 5,000 huns through a 1 mile space, torch your settlement, and move 4 times normal distance to be out of reach of anyone. There's a reason why this is the only TW whose gameplay I've extensively modded. It's a shame, because the battles have interesting pace, ranged units are much more interesting/useful, and the changes to morale and exertion are really cool. That, and there are different types of factions to play that all play differently, like the nomadic tribes that can liberate or dominate factions as they tear west across Rome to find permanent settlements. It's just that the map is flat and shitty, and the enemy is given a plethora of cheats that make it unplayable unless you have them removed. Probably the game in the series with the most unrealized potential. There's a reason why so many TW playing channels have like 10 campaigns from all the other games, but like handful of unfinished ones for this. It just feels like they forgot the battles existed, and got too swept up in the post-Dark Souls "Please stomp my balls" wave.

Warhammer: Brought my faith back to the series. There's so much love and polish here. The battles once again have weight and clash to them, the map is strategic yet barebones and I spend much more time fighting battles than I did with S2/R2/Attila. Factions play differently and units all have some kind of interesting use. The flat map returns from Attila which kind of blows, but it's the one thing I really think of that I greatly dislike.

I played Rome 1 extensively, with and without mods.  It sounds like a lot of the things that frustrated me about it are still in later games.

The pathfinding is excruciating.  It makes me want to scream.  Open fields just with infantry aren't so bad, but in cities combat looks fake, fake, fake.  And nonsensical.  Add in cavalry, and the limitations of the engine will really show.  For some bizarre reason, in Rome 1 cavalry are terrible at running down fleeing units.  They have trouble targeting routing infantry, seriously, try it some time.  You will throw your keyboard skyward in exasperation.

Rome 1 may have been my first grand strategy game, so at first I was perfectly content with the interface.  Then I picked up Civ IV.  Then I put some interface mods on Civ IV.  Then I realized how poo RTW's interface was.  There was absolutely no attempt to streamline the turn-based portion of the game.  Important stat modifiers are completely hidden from the player.  Important functions (like moving retinue from character to character and determining income breakdown) are buried in nonsensical places, and it's not immediately obvious to a newbie that you can even do these things.  Optimal play involves a lot of tedious micro-management that the interface in no way obliges you in completing.

The AI is completely idiotic and predictable.  In open maps when I was polished I could routinely kill infantry-centric armies with horse archers that the auto-resolve would give me 90%+ odds of losing, because the game is just that bad at handling anything that isn't line infantry slugfests.  While this did allow me to get my Genghis on, it got really old after a while.

And the worst part?  None of this aggravating shit can be fixed with mods.  New units, new unit animations even,new maps, and new cosmetics could be done, but the most grating parts of the experience were absolutely untouchable.

Tell us when you get the youtube channel going; I'm interested in seeing what you've got.

Ran into a new hack in Dark Souls 3 last night. 

I'm running through the game on a new build I want to try out (Daggers-only Dex build).  I'm naked, save for a shield and two daggers I swap between. 

Now, in the Dark Souls games there's a ring that grants you increased damage on ripostes and backstabs. These are critical attacks that can be performed when you parry an enemy or other player (with the shield/other parrying tool) or sneak around them for a backstab. Massive damage, cool animation, makes my dick hard, etc etc. 

This fast dagger character relies on critical attacks.

So in one area, I decide to try invading. Why not?  We'll see if I can get some decent PVP in. I haven't done any on this character yet. 

Very first world I invade, and I notice every enemy is dead. That's a bad sign. As an invader, you're working WITH the enemies to kill the host. 

When all enemies are dead, that's a sure sign of GANKING. 

I round the corner, and sure enough there's three other players hanging out by the boss door. Waiting for invaders to 3v1 into the dirt. 

That's called a gank. It's when multiple people team up against one. It's abysmal. 

But it gets worse. 

These people aren't decent players. They aren't even good player. They're all using over-powered, bland weapons and have atrociously bad tactics. I dodged around the three of them for probably four minutes, slashing here or there. But they can heal, and I can't punish a heal attempt while fending off 2 other players. 

Then I parry one of the idiots. My riposte does enough damage to kill a player in one shot. 

BUT, the hornet ring animation doesn't happen. I get a normal riposte animation, for normal riposte damage. 

WTF. 

After that, they cornered me and stun-locked me to death. The phantom/summon guy that I parried gives me a cheeky emote. 

------------------------------------

Which brings me to the meat of the issue: 

If you are going to cheat in an online game, do it like you've got a set of balls between your legs. 

Don't do this half-ass coy little shit, like doing critical-damage protection hacks. What the fuck is that? If you're GANKING, and HACKING, why not go all the way? Have some fun with it! Christ on a stick, hack an item that petrifies me in one hit. Make your rolls damage me and just roll into me to death. Or just don't try to hide it and give you and all your buddies infinite health or stamina. Or get rid of your hitbox! 

You're already Ganking, so obviously there's no honor or pride left in your sorry husk of a human shell. Just give in and hack like you mean it, you cowardly fucktards.