Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

Just for fun, the "enemy" ship names from Children of a Dead Earth (which are far more metal than the player faction's names).

ShipNames
    Screaming Silence
    The Nothing
    Hateweaver
    Ocean of Sorrow
    Cage of Ashes
    Temple of Decay
    The Unmaker
    Dream Shatterer
    Dead Sky
    Dusk Inferno
    Hope Void
    Tomorrow's Despair
    Planet Butcher
    The Gift of Loss
    Volcanic Rain
    Misery Spinneret
    Vengeance Eternal
    Cosmic Eraser
    Terra Requiem
    Solar Tomb
    Shattered Sun
    Wasted Sun
    Entropy
    The Inner Darkness
    Progress Devourerer
    Peaceeater
    Wasteland of a Type I
    Cosmic Epitaph
    Molten Tears
    Desolation River
    Plasma Rain
    Symphony of Violence
    Infinity Eclipse
    Volcanic Glory
    Soul Unraveler
    Nuclear Summer
    Faraday Prison
    Atomic Scar
    Solace Sieve
    Fusion Parasite
    Dead Seraphim Rain
    Shiver
    Scattered Equinox
    Molten Sky
    Nadir
    Heat Death
    Splintered Spacetime
    Bleeding Soul
    Carrion Galaxy
    Weeping Star
FlagShipNames
    The Apocalypse Engine
    The God Machine
    The Chaos Device
    Angel Wreckage
    The Extinction Dream
    The Genocide God
    Cosmic Abortion
    Stillborn Star

All the names are stored in a text file, so I should be able to get the game to random generate the space battleship REMOVE ANIMEA.

The more I see campaign stuff from Battlefield 1, the less convinced I am that they'll mess it up. It seems respectful and bombastic. It's apparently trying to go the CoD 1 route of breaking up the scenery by following different scenarios and actually making unique characters.

The dialogue is corny and the trailers look sappy. Fortunately there's no sign of BF4's light-speed stupid dialogue ("Boots on fucking ground, Recker. Boots on fucking ground!"). Also no signs of the plot of BF3, which is probably the dumbest plot I've seen in a game.

I honestly want to know what happened to the guy who wrote Bad Company 1. That game was never more than it needed to be. We were part of a penal battalion in a bit of a light-hearted Kelly's Heroes world where we were just fighting the Russians because we needed a backdrop for explosions where we weren't killing "terrorists." Since we were in a penal battalion, that meant that our supporting characters were two troublemakers and a dad-figure volunteer sergeant who all got along despite their differences because they seemed to somehow survive their shit details. Being that far down the hill, you're in a tug of war where your Superiors either spurn or support you. One minute you're part of an armored assault column for a big battle. Next minute the evac meant to extract you and your hilarious drunken dictator you took hostage is refused for unknown, leaving you to steal his golden chopper and go through a relatively free-roaming vehicle section. It was a nice framing device that paced out lone wolf and high-action sections of the game well. Considering that enemy armies were almost always better-equipped than you, the difficulty could change, keeping it from being a constant uphill slog.

Bad Company 2 tried to emulate this, but it just fell short in a lot of respects. Mostly what I'm saying is that DICE is the first AAA studio to really do WW1, and they've never done serious particularly well.

Ran into a few hackers last night on ds3. Two were benign, just messing around and goofing off. Fine by me.

But the last one was hacking health, damage. Etc. He was so horrible at the game. I took his health to zero but he didn't die. When he realized he couldn't beat me he insta killed me somehow. Freakin choad.

I'm enjoying Gears of War 4, compared to some recent PC ports it's great. Runs like a dream, no major bugs. Balance already seems better than previous games, nothing like the sawed-off shotgun that killed everyone in a 90 degree cone in front of you like early Gears 3, or a Retro Lancer that was so much better than the other choices that there was no point not using it.