Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

Most of the Humble Bundles have been shit for a while now, but this most recent one is definitely worth a look/buy: https://www.humblebundle.com/overwhelmingly-positive-bundle. Ten bucks just took a chunk out of my wishlist. If you trust my views on anything:

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: Extremely cheesecakey art and characters belie a genuinely fun ZeldaMetroidVania game with some charm.

Epic Battle Fantasy: I don't really have much interest in this one, but I'll launch it eventually out of curiosity

Pony Island: I already owned this (PM me if you want my code no charge), and can definitely recommend it as a weird mindfuck experience that's stayed with me for the year or so after I've played it.

Deadbolt: Wasn't expecting this one to be the standout as much as it was. I gotta say that I hated Hotline Miami 2 and thought it was genuinely bad in almost all respects. Besides my littany of complaints, the worst part of it was that it completely removed any sense of strategy that HLM1 had, instead opting for level design that forced you into a bunker and baiting people around corners. Deadbolt 1 feels the most like HLM 1 than any other game. There's fun, strategic, hyperviolent combat that gives you choices (but not too many choices as to dilute the experience), a story that knows when to not tell you things,  and genuinely cool vibes from the atmosphere/visuals/music. 

Day of the Tentacle Remastered: DotT is one of the handful of Lucasarts adventure games I've never played (I still have LOOM and some of the later Monkey Islands to go), and it's another one of their games that's stood up to its praise. It's got that old Lucasarts problem of the voice acting being competent yet seemingly forced to be drawn out and stilted by the way the actors are forced to work within the confines of the subtitle and animation system. Otherwise, it's another fun, clever, funny LA adventure game that you can play without having to smash a million different emulators and fan patches together to play (also I need dev commentary on more games please).

Valhalla: I'm kind of love/hate with visual novels. I like the interactivity and active puzzle solving of games like Phoenix Wright and Dangan Ronpa, but I can't get into ones that make me just sit and read your average terrible VN plot. Valhalla makes sure to keep a mixture of intrigue and interactivity while sort of poking at my nostalgia for my bartending job. I've put the least amount of time into this game out of anything on the list so far.

N++: Solid platforming series that should be well-known by now. The level design can tend to over-rely on the floatiness of the controls, but when the good levels happen, the platforming just clicks really well.

And those are the titles that are just unlocked right now. Humble Bundle has kind of stumbled (genuinely sorry) lately, but I think they realized their problems with this one. They've mostly just kind of been making lists out of questionable new-release indie games without many established titles to at least try to pull you in. This isn't even to mention just shitty shovelware bundles. But the idea of a bundle of "Overwhelmingly Positive" games is a much better idea than what they've been doing.

DS3 Soul Level 1 run update

Took roughly 50 tries to kill The Dancer of the Boreal Valley. By far the hardest boss so far. 

After this, I took on the Dragonslayer Armor, which due to framerate issues turned into a clusterfuck. But after about 30 tries I had it.

Next up were the Twin Princes. The second form was by far the hardest, because of the projectile attacks combined with the large melee sweeps I had to dodge. This one probably took me close to 30 times as well. 

As expected, Oceiros the Consumed King took roughly 15 tries. An easier boss, as long as RNG was on my side. Plus I could bleed him. 

Next up was Champion Gundyr. This one was ROUGH. It was an all-or-nothing sort of fight. I either perfected it (or damned near), or died. Parries and ripostes were my best friend during this fight. Nearly choked during the final few seconds, but managed this one in about 30 fights. 

The last four were taken down tonight. As far as bosses go, I've got the DLC bosses, the Storm King, and the final boss, Soul of Cinder to deal with. 

I don't think I'll do the Storm King, simply because my CPU dies in the fight and I can't dodge some of the attacks during those times. I may skip the DLC bosses and just try to kill the Soul of Cinder to beat the original game completely. 

Playing SWAT 3 for several days and i can say that AI in this game is best CQB AI i ever saw, and this is 15-17+ old game! Ranbow 6 Raven shield is not even on the same level. Even if they have some problems, those are small and don't create big obstacles for doing what game wants you to do. Almost all mission fails were either because of me (tactical mistakes) or situation that put in SWAT team in disadvantage (that is kind of what player should think about). Modern FPS AI are much better at having better animations, but SWAT 3 enemy/NPC/teammates behavior is very well made for a type of enviroment and gameplay of SWAT3. 

SWAT officers know how to clear rooms and where too look during movement through corridors/stairs/rooms/open areas. This make you feel like a team leader and not a babysitter. Modern FPS usually fix problems with babysitting (if they bother to do that) by making NPC unkillable or make them replacable by spawning new AI agends every time you lost one (Call of Duty use both).

I posted those, but fucking hell.