Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Saudi Arabia is a Backwards, Laughable Shithole Thread

Collimatrix

53 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

As the UAE doesn't have a thread of its own:

https://disobedientmedia.com/2018/04/opinion-for-truth-tellers-like-princess-sheikha-latifa-there-is-no-justice/

I figure the Saudis would be proud of this sort of thing.  :ph34r:

Psst ... Check out who "took a trip to Goa" right as all this was breaking.... It's illustrative and very enlightening.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That ain't something I can easily search without being offered a million package holiday deals TBH.....Any chance of a clue?  ;)

Good old Hillary and Huma of course... I'm sure it was only a coincidence, just like the fires, and having a conversation about grandkids on the tarmac inside a secured airplane.

People are so suspicious these days!

Just because a family and everyone they associate with act like people who have a bunch of stuff to hide doesn't mean anything other than they like their privacy!

In a way it is pretty amusing though watching her have to work off her pretty extensive "debts" to people I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in hock to. She so thought she had her shit wired tight and an entire nation by the balls so it's very satisfying to see her now in the position of being an entirely disposable and deniable pawn to all the big bads she promised so much to and spectacularly failed to deliver.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, roguetechie said:

So basically Saudi Arabia's strategy will be to try and retain consciousness and hope iran hurts itself bouncing Saudi Arabia's head off the pavement / the Americans show up fast?

Accurate summation. Saudis are terribbad at ground war and only marginally competent at air war, but have American backing, and probably some not so clandestine Israeli backing.  Iranian forces are marginally competent at ground war, and have Russian weapons and probably, in the long term, Russian strategic backing. 

4 hours ago, Belesarius said:

Accurate summation. Saudis are terribbad at ground war and only marginally competent at air war, but have American backing, and probably some not so clandestine Israeli backing.  Iranian forces are marginally competent at ground war, and have Russian weapons and probably, in the long term, Russian strategic backing. 

Other than the whole both sides having the backing of a major power and owning ballistic missiles part, this rather endearingly reminds me of learning to fight on hockey skates.

20 minutes ago, roguetechie said:

Other than the whole both sides having the backing of a major power and owning ballistic missiles part, this rather endearingly reminds me of learning to fight on hockey skates.

Think of it as it basically being a way to drain off hard currency in the form of guided missiles, Ballistic and AAA missile sales. Cynical, who me?

That is exactly how I do think of it, and I even go as far as to happily admit that I'm glad it's being done.

Because, frankly, it's better for me the people I care about and the developed world if it stays over there....

Plus I grew up reading shadowrun, playing cyberpunk 2020, and worshipping burning chrome and all tomorrow's parties so the whole desert wars thing never caught me off guard.

Thanks to YouTube liveleak GoPro and et cetera we very much live in the world the scifi I read as a teenager told me to expect.

My girlfriend and I were just talking today about several of our friends who have in the last few years made career and lifestyle choices that put us well on the way to snow crash and it's sequel the diamond age... (Right down to China going balls out at 3d printing and open source) 

I'm not surprised by any of it, and while I don't look forward to the time of suckage we appear to be on the precipice of, I feel deep down that enough of the right moves have already been made for us to muddle our way through to the brighter tomorrow I know is possible.

I'm pretty sure that everything I've just said makes me an asshole, and a smug one at that, but this too I am ok with.

3 hours ago, roguetechie said:

That is exactly how I do think of it, and I even go as far as to happily admit that I'm glad it's being done.

Because, frankly, it's better for me the people I care about and the developed world if it stays over there....

Plus I grew up reading shadowrun, playing cyberpunk 2020, and worshipping burning chrome and all tomorrow's parties so the whole desert wars thing never caught me off guard.

Thanks to YouTube liveleak GoPro and et cetera we very much live in the world the scifi I read as a teenager told me to expect.

My girlfriend and I were just talking today about several of our friends who have in the last few years made career and lifestyle choices that put us well on the way to snow crash and it's sequel the diamond age... (Right down to China going balls out at 3d printing and open source) 

I'm not surprised by any of it, and while I don't look forward to the time of suckage we appear to be on the precipice of, I feel deep down that enough of the right moves have already been made for us to muddle our way through to the brighter tomorrow I know is possible.

I'm pretty sure that everything I've just said makes me an asshole, and a smug one at that, but this too I am ok with.

I dunno about brighter futures, although I agree that we seem to have gotten the cyberpunk future without any of the cool neural interfaces.

My abiding impression was that the thesis if cyberpunk (beyond its fascination with cool setpieces) is that people are pretty much scum and the future is just the worst aspects of the past plus dangerously powerful technologies that its users barely control.

From memory:

Snow crash ended with a meme virus almost killing off humanity and a major american city almost getting nuked because a crazy pedo russian gangster somehow had access to one.

The diamond age ended with a random white kid leading the second boxer rebellion because one guy fucked with the programming of a super-advanced educational computer. Also, nano-pollution is so bad that anyone not living under a dome dies at 30. Humanity also splits into hereditary ethnic enclaves.

Finally; neuromancer has a future dominated by a really grody version of hereditary aristocratics, and ends with a super-advanced AI being born and essentially overtaking humanity as the dominant species on the planet.

10 hours ago, Toxn said:

I dunno about brighter futures, although I agree that we seem to have gotten the cyberpunk future without any of the cool neural interfaces.

My abiding impression was that the thesis if cyberpunk (beyond its fascination with cool setpieces) is that people are pretty much scum and the future is just the worst aspects of the past plus dangerously powerful technologies that its users barely control.

From memory:

Snow crash ended with a meme virus almost killing off humanity and a major american city almost getting nuked because a crazy pedo russian gangster somehow had access to one.

The diamond age ended with a random white kid leading the second boxer rebellion because one guy fucked with the programming of a super-advanced educational computer. Also, nano-pollution is so bad that anyone not living under a dome dies at 30. Humanity also splits into hereditary ethnic enclaves.

Wow, I don't think two people could get much different things out of the same books!

FWIW Snow Crash and The Diamond Age are a story arc (which is why we see hiro and YT return, in the Diamond Age) and I got a very different message from the two than you did.

And yeah, I saw the neo boxer rebellion connections, but you apparently missed the subtleties of how it went down. (the interesting part)

Security is an illusion and the world may seem more dangerous and quick to go south on you in a very impersonal and soul crushingly completely random way, but that's just more of the length of the handle of the flyswatter which can smash your ass out of nowhere. (Yay technology)

At it's core the message I got from the fiction i read was that technology will never build the bright shiny future people expect it to, only people can do that.

It resonated with me, and I think others, but I also had it beat into my head that if we want that shiny future shit's gonna have to get bloody one way or another.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At football world cup, part of which is held here, in St.Petersburg (thanks for problems with subway and station closing, assholes) Saudi Arabia lost to Russia 5:0. I want to point out that Russian footbal team is made 50% out of fail and 50% out of hack frauds, currently it is number 70 ranked football team, which is fucking terrible (below Saudi Arabia, Côte d'Ivoire, Honduras, etc). 

DfpLqetWsAAJG08.jpg:large

Joke pics:

Dfqn0vaX4AA4rN0.jpg:large

After the match

Dfq3QvMW0AAb-gb.jpg:large

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

At football world cup, part of which is held here, in St.Petersubr (thanks for problems with subway and station closing, assholes) Saudi Arabia lost to Russia 5:0.

You are holding the world cup, really?  RT scarcely mentioned it.  ;)

On an only slightly more serious note.....This is just begging for a caption contest:

Dfq3QvMW0AAb-gb.jpg:large

PS - Thank you Russia, again.  :D