Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

T-80 Megathread: Astronomical speed and price!

Vasily Krysov

About T-80UE-1 and UA

Modernized tanks T-80UE-1 and T-80UA were adopted by Russia in 2005. 

Modernization of the T-80UE-1 involves a T-80BV with the turret of the T-80UD tank installed. OZTM is currently upgrading the T-80BV to the level of T-80UE-1 including the installation of the turret from the recycled T-80UD tanks (which is similar to the T-80U), the upgraded FCS 1A45-1 and a number of other improvements. In general, the level of the modernized T-80U-1 will correspond to the modern T-90 and slightly exceed the T-80U. Naturally, this modernization is much more expensive than the overhaul of the T-80U. T-80U mordernization is called T-80UA.

Basically same upgrade, but if T-80BV is getting new FCS and some other changes it get T-80UE-1 designation, if T-80U - then T-80UA. But T-80UE-1s can have differences between them...

Some T-80UE-1, according to photos posted on Otvaga, have "Plissa" thermal imager, but part of T-80UE-1s have PL-1 IR lamp.

joKih.jpg

Spoiler

YzsXB.jpg

HeEa7.jpg

EFZ1j.jpg

GurKhan explains:

T-80UE-1, or Object 219АS-1 was developed within the framework of R & D "Motobol" in two variants of Sp1 and Sp2. Sp1 - the first stage of R & D, Sp2 - respectively, the second.
   At the first stage commander received "Agat-S" sight, and gunner got "Buran-M", and instead of L-4 IR lamp, PL-1 was installed.

At the second stage, the FCS was brought to the level of the modernized T-80U, to T-80UA (219AM-1) level. At the same time, Plissa and 1V528-1M ballistic computer were installed.
   Similar story with T-80UA, by the way, first received the "Buran-M" [and Pl-1], and later - "Plissa".

So T-80UE-1 Sp1 is variant with PL-1 IR laser projector, Sp2 - with Plissa thermal imager. T-80UA also have similar 2 variants (with PL-1 and second one with Plissa), although no designations that i know.

Also:

There was no tank with just "UE" designation. Somebody is just lazy to write "-1". There is a nuance: the design bureau always writes T-80U-1, and in some documents the GABTU T-80U-E1, but in both cases it's about the same vehicle...

And if tank have RCWS - it may be either UD or UE-1, if not - them U or UA. Cyprus got special variant T-80, similar to UA but without Ainet and with older mechanical loader. And one more moment - PL-1 is not a give away of model of T-80, as IR lamps on normal T-80Us could have been swaped for PL-1 during repairs (without any modernisations or changes inside).

One notorious thing in UE-1 - some ammunition is located in the turret. I guess fuck everybody inside was MoD moto.

FWGUS.jpg

To summarize:

T-80UE-1 is T-80BV with T-80UD turret, new FCS and sights, with 1250HP gas turbine installed and Kontakt-5 build in ERA package on both hull and turret. T-80UE-1 Sp1 have PL-1 IR laser projector, while T-80UE-1 Sp2 received Plissa thermal imager. And both Sp1 and Sp2 have ammunition fucking stuffed everywhere in turret.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, as T-80UA was mentioned in general tank identification thread, i think it should be covered here. In a post about T-80UE-1 i touched it slightly, now a bit more about this version of T-80U. 

%25D0%25A2%25D0%25B0%25D0%25BD%25D0%25BA+%25D0%25A2-80%25D0%25A3%25D0%2590.jpg

First, this tank officially is accepted to service:

Modernized tanks T-80BA (Object 219RB), T-80UA (Object 219AM-1) and T-80UE1 (Object 219AS-1) have been accepted by the Presidential Decree from 04/16/2005 No. 435F for supply, and the order of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation of 27.05.2005 No. 043 - and for service

T-80UA is T-80U that gone through some modernisation - mainly FCS and sights. According to GurKhan: 

The upgrade consist of:
- 2A46M-4;
- Modernized fire control system 1A45-1;
- UUI-2 gun muzzle reference system;
- Day and night sights of the commander TO1-KO4;
- Night sights of the gunner TO1-KO5 (as an option the thermal sight of "Plisa" can be installed);
- Complex of optic-electronic suppression "Shtora".

otvaga2004_tank_t80_04.jpg

So how many vehicles gone through this modernization? And again Gurkhan on subject:

T-80UA - under this standard all tanks delivered to Cyprus were upgraded + about 10 vehicles for the Russian Army were modernized

Basically this vehicle is nearly non-existant. Also, AFAIK T-80s for Cyprus received special modernisation, so it is even harder to tell apart UAs from Us and UKs.

Cyprus T-80Us or T-80UAs without Shtora:

P1020826.JPG

Spoiler

06_t_80_tanks_in_action_02.jpg

myt8018wd.jpg

T-80UAs or UKs

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

Chipre_Ex001_T-80U.jpg

t80ukriprmx2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gur Khan has an interesting article on the T-80UE-1:

dsc_0858_6_.jpgdsc_0868_1_.jpg

http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2018/07/80-80-1.html

Does anyone have a picture of the rear turret of one of these, apparently the turret came from the T-80UD, so I'm interested to know what's the score with the filter normally found on turbine T-80s?

PS - Apologies to @Andrei_bt if I've misattributed this.....Embarrassing lack of language skills on my part.

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

/.../

Does anyone have a picture of the rear turret of one of these, apparently the turret came from the T-80UD, so I'm interested to know what's the score with the filter normally found on turbine T-80s?

/.../

Not exactly a rear part of the turret, but turret mounted filter is visible on T-80UE-1

GY1cR.jpg

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Rear turret of the T-80UE-1 is the same as the T-80BV or many T-80's before UE. 
 238501aa605c9d3e096465caabe23937.jpg1415775841_42.jpg1415775861_48.jpg

Photo by Vitaly Kuzmin from his personal photoblog https://www.vitalykuzmin.net/Military/Forum-ARMY2016-All-photos/i-bncCnHk

On 7/11/2018 at 3:30 PM, LoooSeR said:

Upper picture is how T-80 was expected by Americans to look like

soviet%2Bmilitary%2Bopower%2Bt-80.jpg

Not true...that drawing was published in the 1981 edition of the Pentagon's annual journal, "Soviet Military Power." That journal was primarily a propaganda tool used by the US DOD and it included many hypothetical drawings over the years to include this infamous "T-80." While it's true that there was some confusion around identifying the T-80 exactly (which was finally corrected for the public in that unclassified journal in the 1986 edition), classified reporting regarding the T-80 had already been in use for many years before the published photo in 1986. A CIA report published in Oct 1979 (2 years before the release of the hypothetical drawing above), for example, confirms the first sighting of the actual T-80 with a photo.