Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

T-80 Megathread: Astronomical speed and price!

Vasily Krysov

3 hours ago, Karamazov said:

Just T-80U with Agava-2 night sight. Like this:

Spoiler

Fbq8mFkcaJw.jpg

I still remember what one ex-Soviet tank company commander told me after he went to Israel and served on Merkavas - "Agava sights are such type of sights where when you look in it, you are not sure if it is broken or should work like this"

14 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

I still remember what one ex-Soviet tank company commander told me after he went to Israel and served on Merkavas - "Agava sights are such type of sights where when you look in it, you are not sure if it is broken or should work like this"

You are a communist, Ivan! Communist looks into the sight - sees the enemy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 5:47 AM, Cheburashka said:

Does the UD have  neutral steering?

I don't think so.  A poster here a long time ago mentioned that the Kharkov factory was working on an upgraded transmission for the T-80UD/T-84/Oplot family that would have a continuously variable drive ratio as well as neutral steering, but that this was never actually mass-produced.

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Didn't a video pop up in one of the Russian/Soviet tank threads that suggested that the T-80UD (or the example in the video at least) did have neutral steer.....I seem to recall some surprised comments at the time???  :unsure:

If there was, I haven't been able to find it.  @Monochromelody mentions what sound like one-off T-80 variants with neutral steer capability in this thread.

Mysteriously vanished SH user @Levi posted this excellent guide to Soviet MBT transmission design here.  Sadly, most of the important material has fallen prey to the dreaded link rot.  But I remember the basics well enough.

In short, the T-64, T-72 and T-80 have basically the same transmission.  The parts aren't compatible between the three (that would just be silly!), but they all work basically the same way.

In a typical Western MBT the power flowing from the engine is split into a steering drive and the transmission.  The transmission varies the drive ratio, and the steering drive alters the balance between the left and right tracks as needed.  The power is then re-combined and sent to the final drives.  In the Soviet tanks the power is split into left and right half transmissions.  Essentially, each track has its own transmission, and these transmissions also double as steering drives and final drives.  It's very simple and compact, and making a Western-style system that could fit in the same footprint would be quite a trick.  Not necessarily impossible, but quite a trick.

One of the first good photos of a T-80BV to be released by the US/NATO back in the old days. When it first appeared, the story I heard was that in this particular case, a Soviet GSFG soldier wanted to show his girlfriend his tank...and allowed her to take photos of him in the driver seat. There is another version of this photo out on the Net with the boyfriend's face blocked-off. I can only imagine that there was hell to pay when this photo hit the street...    

001_1_0002.jpg

On 1/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, Cheburashka said:

And could somebody please tell me what is that box circled in red?

2016-5.jpg

As far as I can see the the T-80U PNK-4S has this box and the T-80UD one doesn't have it (I guess because of the remote AAMG)

This is a part of 1ETs-29 system. On T-80U this block contain electrical parts of commander's TKN-4S sight stabilizator. 

This system is also mounted on T-90, BTW.

1ETs29 is a control system for anti-aircraft WS of the T-90 tank.
   The system is intended for the following purposes:
- management guidance of the commander's cupola and mounted on it sights and anti-aircraft machine gun installation in the horizontal and vertical planes.
- when installed on a tank with the TSHU-1-2A system, it provides coarse and accurate targeting to the laser source, as well as turning the turret with smoke grenade launchers in direction of the laser source.
 System 1ETs29 provides:
- control and guidanc ofe sight of the commander of the PK-5 and PZU-7;
 - remote control of the NSV-12.7 anti-aircraft machine-gun unit;
 - firing in the "double" mode.

Also, T-80UD have this system as well:

http://bastion-karpenko.ru/t-80ud/