Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

T-80 Megathread: Astronomical speed and price!

Vasily Krysov

T-80BV of the 133rd Guards tank battalion, "Black Wing", fallen from small cliff, 1995, Chechnya.

v_2UB8H_SWg.jpg

During the battle, the crew did not saw the cliff and fell into it. Unfortunately, during the evacuation of the personal under fire one crewmember was KIA and one was wounded.

HZ3IZG1869g.jpg

I'm working on a T-80bv 3d model, but i can't find a good reference picture or video of the autoloader's ejection hatch for the animations.

Ty

Welcome to SH, Idal.

Are you sure that the T-80 ejects its spent casings automatically?  I know the T-62 and T-72 both do, but I was actually under the impression that in the T-64 autoloader the spent cases are returned to the autoloader rather than pitched overboard.  T-80 has a similar autoloader design to T-64, so it may also retain the spent cases.

At about 0:25 you can see what I think is the case stub.  It appears to get raised to clear the breech line when the next round is loaded, and then disappears.  I think back down into the autoloader.

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier in the thread I looked up the stated footprint of the GTD-1250 vs the AGT-1500, and they're pretty comparably sized.  It would have to be a really tiny diesel that could fit into the same footprint as the T-80's gas turbine without needing to enlarge the engine deck.  Fofanov's site seems to imply that the steering drive of the T-80 is packaged with the engine (I dunno, because reasons), so the actual engine part of the engine may be very small indeed.

The "improved engine" may be the GTD-1250.  Compared to the old GTD-1000, GTD-1250 is supposed to give a very large improvement in mobility, in part because of the extra power, and in part because of a more advanced steering drive (continuously variable double differential vs single radius).

Earlier in the thread I looked up the stated footprint of the GTD-1250 vs the AGT-1500, and they're pretty comparably sized.  It would have to be a really tiny diesel that could fit into the same footprint as the T-80's gas turbine without needing to enlarge the engine deck.  Fofanov's site seems to imply that the steering drive of the T-80 is packaged with the engine (I dunno, because reasons), so the actual engine part of the engine may be very small indeed.

The "improved engine" may be the GTD-1250.  Compared to the old GTD-1000, GTD-1250 is supposed to give a very large improvement in mobility, in part because of the extra power, and in part because of a more advanced steering drive (continuously variable double differential vs single radius).

It completely slipped my mind that the T-80BV's would have an older GTD engine.

• 2 weeks later...