Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bolt Carrier Bounce: Causes and Solutions

Collimatrix

11 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

If you're going to be pedantic, you should at least try to be correct.  This is the real fucking world we're talking about here.  There isn't some infinitesimal dribble of rebound in all cases because there are plenty of sources of damping, like friction from locking, or any of the several deliberate ways to damp carrier motion as it comes into battery that I detailed in the OP.

But how can you know? 

kYsOCuC.png

• 2 years later...
On 11/22/2015 at 3:27 PM, Alex C. said:

I have had to "cure" three M16s of bolt bounce. Factory setups are fine and run right, but when whoever gets ahold of a transferable MG and decides he needs a 7" barrel, to mess with internals, or add a piston setup I have seen hammer follow like crazy on the bolt's rebound (which usually results in about three rounds of full auto, then a chambered round with the hammer tripped).

Veteran gunsmiths I talked to said "Colt spent millions of dollars figuring out how much a buffer should weigh, and Jim Bob didn't". Thus, the solution was essentially to buy a case or two of ammo, 6 or 7 buffers, and find out which one worked best with the combo.

How did you cure them? I’m currently having issues with two ARs with DIAS and the same thing is happening. In full auto, they fire about 3 rounds then quits. Please help me as this has become quite annoying.