Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Hilarious Military Fiction Appreciation Zone

LostCosmonaut

When one thinks of military fiction, what comes to mind is usually things like Red Storm Rising or Red Phoenix. However, the world of military fiction is much wider, and much more hilarious. It includes things like a guy who has the same feelings about the B-52 as Mike Sparks does for the M113, shitloads of BROWN PEOPLE, geopolitical predictions that look hilarious stupid in hindsight, and sometimes weird sexual hangups.

I found this hiding on my shelf today.

41V-7VSnayL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read it a while ago, but I had to refresh myself on the plot.

How does SUPER APARTHEID SOUTH AFRICA & IMPERIAL GERMANY IN THE 21ST CENTURY vs. US and friends sound? Featuring shitloads of nuclear tipped torpedoes, Germany conquering all of Europe despite only having shitty first gen fission bombs (and not getting nuked by France), Russia being cool with the Germans during all this, South African super submarines capable of diving to 3 kilometers (with ceramic hull ?!?), and a final battle UNDER AN ANTARCTIC ICE SHELF sound? From what I remember, the writing was actually of decent quality (it has good reviews on amazon), but holy shit the plotline. Utterly bananas.

So, post about weird/hilarious military fiction here.

I'm going to have to post something about Mack Moloney and his Wingman books, a series about a post nuke war World, where the hero flew an F-16

http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-East-Wingman-M-Maloney/dp/0821724533/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=513q4nSOfoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR104%2C160_&refRID=175N7AEQ6WPK7GKGD4Q3

513q4nSOfoL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Even as a kid these were hard to take. 

Those I read as a teenager.  My favorite one was when he traded in his F-16 for an OS2-U Kingfisher  with Sidewinders for some goddamned reason or another.  I think I have electronic copies floating around somewhere... might have to throw them on my phone for giggles. Oh, and eventually he had an F-16XL, the weird delta variant.

51ABKteQDvL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In the near feature after 1992, the United States allies with South Africa against the Russkies who are Commies again and Commie darkies. If I remember correctly. The action centers around the "Sixth Battle" between two sets of aircraft carriers with a US Navy carrier group facing off against a Russkie carrier group. The Sixth Battle is so named because there were historically five battles involving aircraft carriers in World War 2. Suspense is built because we have to suspend disbelief that the Russkie ships and naval aviation wouldn't be LOL sunk in the first 15 pages. Also the author liked to regale the readers with how sailors, escaping from a sinking ship would be crushed by overpressure waves from underwater explosions or cavitation.

Ironically, the Admiral of the US carrier group is a black guy who is there to save the Apartheid South Africans. Also there was some submarine action with a nuclear tipped torpedo. 

51ABKteQDvL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In the near feature after 1992, the United States allies with South Africa against the Russkies who are Commies again and Commie darkies. If I remember correctly. The action centers around the "Sixth Battle" between two sets of aircraft carriers with a US Navy carrier group facing off against a Russkie carrier group. The Sixth Battle is so named because there were historically five battles involving aircraft carriers in World War 2. Suspense is built because we have to suspend disbelief that the Russkie ships and naval aviation wouldn't be LOL sunk in the first 15 pages. Also the author liked to regale the readers with how sailors, escaping from a sinking ship would be crushed by overpressure waves from underwater explosions or cavitation.

Ironically, the Admiral of the US carrier group is a black guy who is there to save the Apartheid South Africans. Also there was some submarine action with a nuclear tipped torpedo. 

SKINCs :) (Sub Kiloton Insertable Nuclear Component).  I have that one on my shelf too.

It even references a character in one of his earlier books who was a Dauntless pilot at Midway.

On the subject of the mind numbing awfulness that is John Ringo, I feel I should mention the mind numbing awfulness that is Tom motherfucking Krantman.

A man who wrote a book that involves Germany rejuvenating SS veterans and reforming the Waffen-SS because apparently only the elite soldiers of the Waffen-SS are bad enough dudes to fight space aliens. Also, apparently, the Waffen-SS according to Krantman, were a bunch of misunderstood patriots who didn't actually commit any war crimes.

He also wrote a story about a sentient tank that had orgasms when it dreamed about killing T-34s.

He's the ultimate Wehraboo.

http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Rhine-Wacht-Posleen-Series/dp/1416521208

Funny thing is, I remember reading a bunch of technothrillers as a teenager but don't actually remember anything other than snippets of plot. There was one with a stealth fighter on the cover about a Shuttle carrying nuclear bombs that got stolen by Libyans. And one about a Soviet scientist defecting in Algeria (?) because the Soviet government didn't believe that space aliens were going to invade and refused to build bomb-pumped lasers.

Though a while back I read a couple mystery novels about a Finnish secret investigator for the Tsar who is sent to Siberia but Stalin brings him back because he's incorruptible (what a mouthful), the first one is a pretty generic one about finding the remains of the Romanovs, whereas the second is a very inaccurate story about the creator of the T-34 being murdered. Koshkin makes no appearance at all.

It makes perfect sense for a country that has a very small Asian population to try and steal a virus from a superpower that, for some reason would try to develop a virus that targets everyone but Asians despite said country being predominately White, followed by Hispanic and Black because