Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General Naval Warfare News/Technology thread.

Belesarius

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

If they could raise the 40,000 ton Hyūga in 1946 (for scraping), they can raise that 5000 ton frigate in 2018... right? 

Sure but raising it for scrapping and raising it to repair the damages and get it back into service won't be the same cost wise.

Raising it should be easy (especially since it's in very shallow water), but depending on the extent of the damages, it's not impossible that the refit might cost more than a new build ship.

6 hours ago, Alzoc said:

@Xoon Could you tell us if the following exchange seem legit to you?

Sorry, for the little mix up, couldn't remember if you were from Norway, Finland or Sweden (It's Norway right?)

Yeah,  I am Norwegian.  This sounds legit, though badly translated.  

The reason the warship sank by the way, is because they anchored the ship to land to keep it steady. But it was a poor job,  a wire broke,  and when they tried to reinforce it, it became too dangerous and they had to abort half way.  Later other wires broke,  leading to a chain reaction causing the reinforced wire to rip out a chuck of rock and the ship sinking.  

Sjøforsvaret tells the media that it has no ship rescue capability "because they are not a ship rescue company" .  That competence has to be outsourced.  

The ship is unofficially declared lost and not Worth repairing.

A lot of memes about it:
finn-annonse.jpg?chk=FC7394

(It says boat is given away, has to be picked up in Øygarden and the batteries for the GPS has to be replaced. A captain can come with for free.)

e8C9YyX.jpg

cnlacsdw95y11.jpg

ScclX4R.jpg

loh88or2b4y11.jpg

8k8lgtp8j9x11.jpg

hihtrbuco3x11.png

57 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Holy @%# the ship is a total loss? Dang I know water can cause alot of damage but to that extent? Well I guess a couple million taxpayer dollars went down with that ship. 

That, and I guess the hull has probably quite some structural damage, both from when she was hit by the tanker and when she foundered on her side. And you have to replace a truckload of internal hardware that wasn't meant to enter in contact with seawater and get even slightly corroded (electronics, etc). So...yeah, at that point, the repairs could be so expensive and extensive it might make more sense to purchase a new ship of the same class.

2 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Holy @%# the ship is a total loss? Dang I know water can cause alot of damage but to that extent? Well I guess a couple million taxpayer dollars went down with that ship. 

Literally almost a years worth of budget for Sjøforsvaret. Roughly 508 million USD. 

1 hour ago, Renegade334 said:

That, and I guess the hull has probably quite some structural damage, both from when she was hit by the tanker and when she foundered on her side. And you have to replace a truckload of internal hardware that wasn't meant to enter in contact with seawater and get even slightly corroded (electronics, etc). So...yeah, at that point, the repairs could be so expensive and extensive it might make more sense to purchase a new ship of the same class.

She took a lot of damage from the impact, and even more from being stranded and rubbing against the rocks. It is assumed that all electronics, instruments, drive line components, generators, interior and anything that can get wet must be replaced. Considering this is a warship, it is basically screwed. 

Battleships sunk (and recovered) at Pearl Harbor: 

USS Nevada. 27,500 tons. 6 bombs, 1 torpedo. 

USS California. 33,000 tons. 2 bombs, 2 torpedoes (and beached). 

USS West Virginia. 32,000 tons. 2 bombs, 7(!) torpedoes. 

... they just don’t make em like they use to... 

5 hours ago, Lord_James said:

... they just don’t make em like they use to... 

A 5k ton unarmoured frigate isn't as resilient as something made out of  6 times the amount of the best steel ever made...  who knew?

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/11/14/navy-destroyer-catches-on-fire-in-repair-yard-one-sailor-treated-at-hospital/?fbclid=IwAR09O9ECt2G37hFkFX8IindMg7WoTPVk21O5D4H05rxPhKPrmrHFrJy9jic#.W-0fST4G_aE.facebook

USS Oscar Austin caught fire while undergoing repairs at BAE's Norfolk ship repair facility on the Elizabeth River. 1 sailor taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

The Argentine navy held a press conference, with ROV pics of the vessel:

http://gacetamarinera.com.ar/informaron-acerca-de-la-identificacion-fehaciente-del-submarino-ara-san-juan/

Spoiler

17-11-18-conferenciasanjuan-13.jpg

The deformation of the crushed pressure hull is visible here. The lines protruding by the torpedo tubes are probably something to do with the outer tube doors.

17-11-18-conferenciasanjuan-14.jpg

17-11-18-conferenciasanjuan-15.jpg

900 metres down, and right next to where the acoustic anomaly was detected by the CTBTO - she's been hidden right where we thought she was all this time.

RIP

Restoration of "Admiral Kuznetsov" will cost 70 million rubles

MOSCOW, November 22. / Tass /. The aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov as a result of an emergency with a floating dock on October 30 received 52 damages, the cost of eliminating them will be about 70 million rubles. This was on Thursday Tass reported the head of the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC), Alexei Rakhmanov.
/.../
   He also said that “we didn’t find anything serious damages that could lead to an increase in the repair period or was not subject to restoration.” "Completion of repair is planned for the end of 2020 and the beginning of tests, respectively, for 2021. It is planned to transfer the ship to the fleet in mid-2021," the head of the USC said.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 12:54 AM, Lord_James said:

the way of hows naval fought has change so much since those time , modern naval ship fought each other in much longer distance than what Battleship used to fought (ex.cruise missile out range 16" gun )

modern ship prefer to defense it self by using active counter measure rather than passive armor , thats why old warship are sooo heavy  dont forget too include their main armament  

thats one of the reason today ship survivability is really suck IMO , its a give and take ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, chandieka said:

thats one of the reason today ship survivability is really suck IMO

Perhaps you're misunderstanding the survivability onion. The destructive capability of modern naval weapons is such that you *can't* effectively counter enemy weapons at the "Penetrate" layer of the onion.  (Though warships are still pretty decent at the "Don't be K-Killed" category barring the Norwegians.) The ability to fight an EM war where you avoid detection, recognition, engagement, and being hit is a far more effective form of survivability, since you avoid being hit in the first place. Enemy steel on your steel is never a good thing, regardless of how well armored you think yourself to be.

An excellent practical example of this is Pico's sterling work How to Hide a Task Force. By fighting in the EM spectrum, a USN CBG was capable of operating with impunity despite being in range of very capable enemy strike complexes which was more than capable of killing them dead.... except they couldn't. 

Not really news or related, but does anyone know the anti air armaments for the Nevada or Pennsylvania Class battleships in 1941 (Pearl Harbor)? I see they had their 8x 5”/25 mark 10s, but I’m reading conflicting sources stating either 4x 3”/50 or 4x 1.1 inch quads, as well as maybe 8x 0.50cals (ambiguous writing). I’ve looked at some pictures, but I can’t make out too much on Nevada between 1935 and 1941, except the 5 inch mark 10s. Anyone have any info? 

6 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Not really news or related, but does anyone know the anti air armaments for the Nevada or Pennsylvania Class battleships in 1941 (Pearl Harbor)? I see they had their 8x 5”/25 mark 10s, but I’m reading conflicting sources stating either 4x 3”/50 or 4x 1.1 inch quads, as well as maybe 8x 0.50cals (ambiguous writing). I’ve looked at some pictures, but I can’t make out too much on Nevada between 1935 and 1941, except the 5 inch mark 10s. Anyone have any info? 

Almost certainly the 1.1inch quads + the .50s