Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Star Wars Spoiler Thread SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Sturgeon

Mine would be Belator, looks like bayonet. But pretty much anything that came out of the Dark Empire comics is gold 

Someone who reads EU and knows what theyre talking about? I didn't know anyone else existed.  :v

Too much Extended Universe garbage.

REMOVE_EU!!!

Expanded Universe is what made Star Wars really indepth and addicting. Without it as canon the movies just seem flat. 

Someone who reads EU and knows what theyre talking about? I didn't know anyone else existed.  :v

Expanded Universe is what made Star Wars really indepth and addicting. Without it as canon the movies just seem flat. 

New chick is alright  B)

I haven't played any of the KOTOR games (not the recent MMO thing), but I did see some KOTOR movie conversions, it seemed like a neat story.

But Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy best Star Wars, alongside the Republic Commando story.

good games sure, but the second KOTOR has probably the most deep story of any star wars game 

No thats the first one

the second one is the one with the blind Jedi leading you 

My bad, that makes sense. I don't think I've watched/played the entire storyline of that one. Just the intro and when he landed on the planet in the beginning. If its so good I think I'll look into buying it, or just watch someones playthrough.

The EU is poorly written trash by authors who either can't or weren't allowed to come up with probable story lines and who have to cobble together story lines for ancillary characters who DON'T NEED BACK STORIES!!!

We don't need to know that the slave dancer who gets munched on by the Rancor at Jabba's Palace is named Oola. Nor do we need to know that she is part of the Ryloth clan. Or that she has a half-sister. Or that something something Oola warned Luke Skywalker and... Holy shit, that is stupid.

No, all that is necessary to tell the story in Return of the Jedi is that Jabba is a mercurial bad guy who will feed a slave to a big scary monster simply for the LOLs. That is what is needed to move the story along and make it interesting. 

Nor do we need to know that the lizard bounty hunter guy in Empire Strikes Back is named Bossk and that he's a Trandoshan and that there is all sorts of crap scribbled down about hunting Wookies and how he's involved with all kinds of crap with characters we don't care about. All that is important is that Vader needed to track down Han Solo and company and they served as a counterweight in the movie to the spit-and-polish by-the-book Imperial naval personnel. 

Oh, and this guy. Master Chief Tenn Graneet. Yeah, the guy in the black helmet who shot the laser on the Death Star. He doesn't need a fucking back story either. And we don't need to know that he had a fucking nephew. And we don't need some phony fucking sob story about how he felt so bad about blowing up Alderaan that he delayed giving the final order to shoot the Death by repeating the order twice because fucking retarded Star Wars geeks who jack off in their underwear don't understand fucking movie pacing or how suspense is built to heighten the climax of a movie and this was incorporated into the John Williams score of the movie.

I mean fucking seriously. Who writes this shit?

When given the order to fire the superlaser at the rebel base on Yavin 4, Graneet froze, wracked with guilt and wishing desperately for something to save him from his dreadful duty. In desperation, he informed his gunnery crew and the overbridge to "stand by" and then repeated his order a few seconds later, until his wish was granted, as his few moments of hesitation were sufficient to allow Luke Skywalker to destroy the Death Star. 

NO THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED FUCKTARDS!!! DID YOU NOT FUCKING WATCH THE MOVIE. 

Oh yeah, that gunner is really looking like he feels remorseful or is hesitating.

And yeah, those are the shitty remastered editions. But still.

The EU is poorly written trash by authors who either can't or weren't allowed to come up with probable story lines and who have to cobble together story lines for ancillary characters who DON'T NEED BACK STORIES!!!

We don't need to know that the slave dancer who gets munched on by the Rancor at Jabba's Palace is named Oola. Nor do we need to know that she is part of the Ryloth clan. Or that she has a half-sister. Or that something something Oola warned Luke Skywalker and... Holy shit, that is stupid.

No, all that is necessary to tell the story in Return of the Jedi is that Jabba is a mercurial bad guy who will feed a slave to a big scary monster simply for the LOLs. That is what is needed to move the story along and make it interesting. 

Nor do we need to know that the lizard bounty hunter guy in Empire Strikes Back is named Bossk and that he's a Trandoshan and that there is all sorts of crap scribbled down about hunting Wookies and how he's involved with all kinds of crap with characters we don't care about. All that is important is that Vader needed to track down Han Solo and company and they served as a counterweight in the movie to the spit-and-polish by-the-book Imperial naval personnel. 

Oh, and this guy. Master Chief Tenn Graneet. Yeah, the guy in the black helmet who shot the laser on the Death Star. He doesn't need a fucking back story either. And we don't need to know that he had a fucking nephew. And we don't need some phony fucking sob story about how he felt so bad about blowing up Alderaan that he delayed giving the final order to shoot the Death by repeating the order twice because fucking retarded Star Wars geeks who jack off in their underwear don't understand fucking movie pacing or how suspense is built to heighten the climax of a movie and this was incorporated into the John Williams score of the movie.

I mean fucking seriously. Who writes this shit?

When given the order to fire the superlaser at the rebel base on Yavin 4, Graneet froze, wracked with guilt and wishing desperately for something to save him from his dreadful duty. In desperation, he informed his gunnery crew and the overbridge to "stand by" and then repeated his order a few seconds later, until his wish was granted, as his few moments of hesitation were sufficient to allow Luke Skywalker to destroy the Death Star. 

NO THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED FUCKTARDS!!! DID YOU NOT FUCKING WATCH THE MOVIE. 

Oh yeah, that gunner is really looking like he feels remorseful or is hesitating.

And yeah, those are the shitty remastered editions. But still.

whats even more jarring about the Death Star Gunner backstory, is that they reused the shots from the Alderaan explosion, so he didnt say anything extra really

and ya, most of the EU can be sumed up that way, giving backstories to things that dont need em, and making those backstories 3 books long with a an offshooting comic and card series

But alot of it, as poorly written as it is, can be interesting, if nothing for the art direction and talent poured into most of the comics and games

the novels are just more dollar store sci-fi hackery, i guess tymothy Zhan's stuff is nice, but most of it i just read because it has the star wars label on it

I agree with Don, and think that Mai's gotten it exactly ass-backwards. The reason there's so much interest in the wider universe of Star Wars is because of the presentation and delivery of the 1977 movie. I can go into depth on why this is, but I'll just leave it at that. The intrigue for the world of Star Wars is created by the first movie, not the EU. The only reason the EU interests people (including me) is because of that first movie, because of people wanting to know more about that world they were so vividly shown for about 120 minutes.

That's why we put up with the EU and how bad it is, and that's why nobody really gives a fuck that the EU's not canon anymore.

The EU has pros and cons. Now and then you get a diamond story/backstory and the alike. Not all of it was good, but it made the SW Universe seem more detailed... hence "Expanded". 

That's why we put up with the EU and how bad it is, and that's why nobody really gives a fuck that the EU's not canon anymore.

Most of the people I see are the opposite. They are pissed with the EUs removal of canon. Which I get why it was done, so they can remake their own with tidbits of good that came from the EU.

The EU has pros and cons. Now and then you get a diamond story/backstory and the alike. Not all of it was good, but it made the SW Universe seem more detailed... hence "Expanded". 

Most of the people I see are the opposite. They are pissed with the EUs removal of canon. Which I get why it was done, so they can remake their own with tidbits of good that came from the EU.

I think that's particular to your circle of friends, then. The majority of people I know don't give a flying fuck about the EU, and even those that do aren't sad it's gone.

Now, imagine if 1977 was just removed from canon? There'd be fucking riots in the streets. The reason for this is obvious.

I'm still just annoyed that that Harmy guy had to take it upon himself to piece together the original unedited OT releases from like 7 different sources, instead of Lucas/Disney just releasing the original versions in HD.

#GreedoNeverShot

Oh yeah. The original ORIGINAL Star Wars trilogy needs to be re-released in the unmolested format without Stormtroopers riding lizards cluttering up scenes or fucking Hayden Christensen mugging for a scene where he was three years old when it was originally filmed. 

I think that's particular to your circle of friends, then. The majority of people I know don't give a flying fuck about the EU, and even those that do aren't sad it's gone.

Now, imagine if 1977 was just removed from canon? There'd be fucking riots in the streets. The reason for this is obvious.

Exactly. People give jack and shit about the EU. 

#GreedoNeverShot

Amen brother!!!

Oh yeah. The original ORIGINAL Star Wars trilogy needs to be re-released in the unmolested format without Stormtroopers riding lizards cluttering up scenes or fucking Hayden Christensen mugging for a scene where he was three years old when it was originally filmed. 

Exactly. People give jack and shit about the EU. 

Don't be ridiculous, that terrible CGI musical number was totally an improvement.

Im really split down the middle

Most of everything i care about EU is post episode 6, since everything beforehand is either back-stepping to justify papaltine overthowing the republic or clones wars shit executed wrongly (for the most part)

Old Republic Era stuff is pretty seperated from everything, so i suppose it dosent really matter if its canon or not, there are still books and role playing game sets rolling off the shelves for it and a still somewhat ative MMO

but really, most of the EU has a bad case of the backgrounds whatever "totatlly not han, luke, and leia" characters are set against

VYitI6K.jpg

owJyYO3.jpg

mnbA2ob.jpg

qYiJgjC.jpg

WgYfr3R.jpg

So what you have is a very dark, gritty, massive universe that your only really allowed to explore the foreskin off, if whoever is incharge of the EU stopped trying to fucking remake flash gordon and start putting the sci-fi real estate to making a less autistic warhammer 40k we would be alot better off 

Different communities, different opinions. In the overall picture I think most people either dont know about the EU or just didnt mind it going away. I'm a bit biased since I only really got into the Saga by finding the wookipedia page and reading some amazing stories from the newly formed Legends.

I'm sort of glad the EU is gone in the fact its easier to cope with remaking a new canon and not having to deal with a small percent of EU fans than keeping it and having tons of people rant about how the new films didnt follow the EU perfectly.

Oh I agree Tied, I'm middle if not slightly EU based. I have no problems with the EU removal as long as they at least eventually bring back the truly amazing characters and events in one shape or another like they just recently proved to us they are doing. The "dark, gritty, massive universe" part is something I adored. Since SW films all have their own lightheartedness when it comes to that sort of thing. Episode 3 was my personal favorite because of the attempt at making the story darker than usual, the EU backstories helped. 

Thrawn, Katarn, etc.. 

eh, the new comics from Marvel look boring as shit, not that the late Dark Horse material was any better but atleast in their heyday they tried to do something more with the EU than try to retell the the three movies 40 times

as for you guys not liking the EU, you just havent spent enough sleepness nights on black and white star destroyer.net boards debating the lenth of the Executor class