Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Panem et Circenses Thread

I'm sorry. I don't waste time with make believe, bullshit statistics like WAR.

But the final season, Johnson was losing games on purpose because he wanted to be traded and play for Arizona. We stiffed the Astros for three quality players in Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen and John Halama.

As for Pay Rod, he wasn't worth the $250 million the idiotic Texas Rangers paid for him. Texas was crippled for nearly a decade until they found someone stupid enough to trade for his steroid riddled ass.

I'm sorry. I don't waste time with make believe, bullshit statistics like WAR.

Yes batting average and pitching wins are totally good and accurate statistics at measuring a player's skill but WAR is bad and evil and cannot measure a player's skill better than batting average and pitching wins because:

I'm sorry baseball statistics have moved on from the 19th century. Have you considered attending your local community college class on statistics or perhaps if you're lucky they might have a class on sabermetrics. It might help prevent you from making such retarded statements.

But the final season, Johnson was losing games on purpose because he wanted to be traded and play for Arizona. We stiffed the Astros for three quality players in Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen and John Halama.

ahahahaha no

As for Pay Rod, he wasn't worth the $250 million the idiotic Texas Rangers paid for him. Texas was crippled for nearly a decade until they found someone stupid enough to trade for his steroid riddled ass.

Actually he was -at least for his regular season performance- the Rangers only made a mistake in assuming they could afford to pay player could put up 5+ war for years.

Oh my god. You're quoting the bullshit USSMariner site. Such fail.

I take it by the fact that you have not disputed the arguments in the article that you admit that you were in error by saying Randy Johnson intentionally tanked.

And WAR is bullshit because there is no such thing as a "replacement" player.

Yes there is and saying otherwise is laughable.

A replacement player is the type of player who hangs around the fringes of being major-league quality. The sort of readily-available guy you'd rather not get 600 at-bats or 32 starts in the majors, but whom you can get at a moment's notice from the minors or from the free agent scrap heap if one of your regulars goes down. A replacement player is a guy who performs at that minimum performance level you'd consider barely acceptable major-league quality; if he was any worse, you'd send him down and call up someone else. Last guy off the bench, first guy off the bus.

Oh hey. The World Series is on.

My rooting interest goes to Cleveland. Mainly because the bandwagon Cubs fans will become absolutely fucking obnoxious if their losing franchise finally wins.  See the fucking annoying Red Sox fanbase after their curse was broken as an example.

Also Cleveland is kind of the sports franchise spirit brother of Seattle in terms of snake-bit sports franchises.

Oh hey! The Cubs have Chris Bosio as their pitching coach.

chris_bosio_2013_02_18.jpg

OK. That does make me like the Cubs a little bit more, despite the insufferable bandwagoning by their "fans".

Because every long-suffering Mariners fan remembers when Bosio did this.

That Omar Visquez bare-handed grab...

:rolleyes: