Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bash the ATD-X thread

Priory_of_Sion

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/japans-homegrown-x-2-stealth-fighter-takes-maiden-fligh-1772643027

The X-2 is notable for its elaborate thrust vectoring system, which uses a trio of three “paddles” on each engine exhaust to allow for independent high-angle deflection of each jet’s exhaust. In other words, the X-2 is designed to be as maneuverable as it is stealthy.

I THOUGHT WE GOT PAST THIS SHIT IN 1995

edit: comments are gold

Is it just me but does anyone else see some of the design philosophy of the ZERO manifesting itself here

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/japans-homegrown-x-2-stealth-fighter-takes-maiden-fligh-1772643027

I THOUGHT WE GOT PAST THIS SHIT IN 1995

edit: comments are gold

"

Canada wanted a twin engine stealth fighter. Trudeau better start calling Abe.

This would really be a good competitor to US F-35. Or since America wont sell the F-22.

I’m pretty sure Japan would be willing to share, just to cut the cost.

Hoping the Israeli’s are also watching."

Yeah, Canada better call up Japan right away for an aircraft that's literally not even fully past it's demo stages yet and has made all of 1 flight just recently with it's tech demo aircraft.

It will be on their doorstep anyday.

• 1 year later...

YMBKQuT.jpg

aYkQdOa.jpg

ZwPvANA.jpg

Japanese wind tunnel models and computer design studies.  You can see that they're still trying different things; the empennage is noticeably different between the different models.  AAM appears to be the fearsome meteor, or perhaps the improved Japanese version of it!  Curiously, the engine nozzles appear to be conventional circular.

eOUVCwq.jpg

That's definitely a low bypass ratio jet engine, probably for a fighter.  I count three low pressure stages in the compressor and six high pressure stages.  EJ200 is 3 and 5, so this isn't just an EJ200.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Yeah, but in light of Chinese J-20 already in service this plane should have been developed and put into service long time ago.

Stealth is hard.  And the Japanese were almost certain that they could get the US to coming around to sell the Raptor, as were the Australians for a while. When they wouldn't they had to crash develop their own program.

3 hours ago, Belesarius said:

Stealth is hard.  And the Japanese were almost certain that they could get the US to coming around to sell the Raptor, as were the Australians for a while. When they wouldn't they had to crash develop their own program.

That and unlike the Japanese, the Chinese have advanced to the point where their aerospace industry can design and manufacture aircraft without outside help with the JH-7B,  J-20 and J-31 being proof of that. (Look at all of Japan's previous fighters, even their "indigenous" ones would've been impossible without US assistance. I'll be fair and not count the J-10 since there is some circumstancial evidence that GD helped with the original project.)

It's like, The USA, Russia, China, and some Euro nations like France and Sweden are really the only ones left capable of designing competitive aircraft these days without outside assistance, Though I'm sure I'll get bitched at for forgetting someone.

11 minutes ago, Khand-e said:

That and unlike the Japanese, the Chinese have advanced to the point where their aerospace industry can design and manufacture aircraft without outside help with the JH-7B,  J-20 and J-31 being proof of that. (Look at all of Japan's previous fighters, even their "indigenous" ones would've been impossible without US assistance. I'll be fair and not count the J-10 since there is some circumstancial evidence that GD helped with the original project.)

It's like, The USA, Russia, China, and some Euro nations like France and Sweden are really the only ones left capable of designing competitive aircraft these days without outside assistance, Though I'm sure I'll get bitched at for forgetting someone.

Tho engines are still pretty hard and only a few people have the sorcery that is modern jet turbines down. China's aerospace industry is getting pretty interesting.  The F-2 is just a slightly embiggened F-16, from what I understand. Japan will have to spend a ton of time, money and effort to get the ATD-X off the ground and into serial production.

• 3 months later...