Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

AMX-30 B/B2: CBRN housing, gun, interior, APS, gearbox

TPR

Hello,

I am currently looking for information on the transition AMX-30B -> AMX-30B2, I received information, some of it from the daguet operation and I wanted to confirm it, if possible with pictures of the elements in question.

It seems that the CBRN box is no longer embedded in the turret roof but now in the turret neck, I found pictures of the box in the neck, but none on the embedded box.

I was then told that the 105mm F1 gun had the possibility to be put in "artillery position" to fire flares and make long range shots, it seems that a calculation system was available for this specification, I think it must be in the form of a plate glued on the breech or something like that... for ballistic calculation in artillery position.

Then, it seems that the AMX-30B2 had two versions, a "manufacture" and a "upgraded" according to the person, the difference is visible inside with a white paint color for the "manufacture" and an interior paint rather in the green tones for the upgraded version.

It also seems that during operation Daguet, the AMX-30B2 were equipped with an Active Protection System, I thought that the APS arrived only on the final version of the AMX-30B2 Brennus.

Then, I tried to find pictures of the old manual gearbox but I didn't find any, I just found for the semi-auto gearbox ENC-200, are there any pictures of the old manual gearbox?

I tried to find this information but my search engine is a bit stupid and doesn't understand what I'm looking for... I think nobody ever talked about this, no info available anywhere (according to my search engine)

Thanks in advance for your answers and help!

Regarding the AMX 30 capability to fire illuminating rounds, I don't think so... That kind of task was more for the ART support with their 155.
In terms of night fighting capability it was more direct illumination through PH8 projector (vis./IR)

Indirect fire was also done with M1 quadrant.

Regarding operation Daguet, the AMX 30 B2s were equiped with counter-measures not APS (as defined by today's standards).

8yGYyuq.jpg

Thank you for your reply!

I was wondering if you would be in possession of a photo of the AMX-30 B gear lever, I noticed that you were the source of a lot of tank photos on the internet, so I take the liberty of ask you the question.

5 hours ago, TPR said:

Thank you for your reply!

I was wondering if you would be in possession of a photo of the AMX-30 B gear lever, I noticed that you were the source of a lot of tank photos on the internet, so I take the liberty of ask you the question.

Well, I have a spotty collection, so don't expect anything comprehensive.
In that case, I discovered that I did not have the Saumur AMX 30 B hull leaflet (figures)...

Hope this will be helpful :

x5dWMya.jpg