Sturgeon's House

Just now, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Everyone think's their the shit until you put them on a shot timer. 

It is the great humbler.

Well the difference is I actually have experience in USPSA/ISPC and IPDA unlike most of the people that shit talk big like that who have never entered a competition in their life. Hell, I have an entire section in my walk in safe dedicated to nothing but competition pieces.

4 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Everyone think's their the shit until you put them on a shot timer. 

It is the great humbler.

I give myself something like odds of finishing a stage before the par time. Maybe. If I do well.

15 minutes ago, Khand-e said:

Well the difference is I actually have experience in USPSA/ISPC and IPDA unlike most of the people that shit talk big like that who have never entered a competition in their life. Hell, I have an entire section in my walk in safe dedicated to nothing but competition pieces.

That'd be awesome, you should totally give it a go.

18 hours ago, xthetenth said:

"Mutant" is a loaded way to say "centerpiece of a modern secondary weapon system".

I'll be interested to see how effective it is.

It's nothing all that exciting. Just your average pretty vanilla g26 with g19 barrel and slide, Goshen hexsites (because they work for me), and +2 round base plates with the "pinky hook".

The gun set up this way fits my body shape, preferred carry options, and wardrobe in a nice inoffensive way. It's a gun i can carry daily without tailoring my wardrobe or etc to the gun, yet can still shoot proficiently to much more than 21 feet if I were to ever really need to.

For my life and my needs it's about perfect. It rides around with me at all times and leaves me that nice warm feeling of dependability /  reliability that condoms and full coverage car insurance give me. 

16 hours ago, roguetechie said:

It's nothing all that exciting. Just your average pretty vanilla g26 with g19 barrel and slide, Goshen hexsites (because they work for me), and +2 round base plates with the "pinky hook".

The gun set up this way fits my body shape, preferred carry options, and wardrobe in a nice inoffensive way. It's a gun i can carry daily without tailoring my wardrobe or etc to the gun, yet can still shoot proficiently to much more than 21 feet if I were to ever really need to.

For my life and my needs it's about perfect. It rides around with me at all times and leaves me that nice warm feeling of dependability /  reliability that condoms and full coverage car insurance give me. 

Ah okay. That sort of mutant. What I'm trying to do really warrants a dismissive "it's the platform for a system with these cool things, let's talk about those because they're cool".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Wiedzmin
      have question about 12.7x99 AP M2 cartridge  WWII time books gives muzzle velocity for AP M2 - 895 m/s for 45in barrel, modern days firing tables and manuals gives 856 m/s for 45in barrel, which is correct, or both correct but 1st for WWII and 2nd for modern dayes cartridges ?
    • By Sturgeon
      This thread is for suggesting contest subjects for the forum to participate in!
    • By Sturgeon
      I woke up one day and decided "why not design an entirely new rifle from scratch, and live blog it?" So here we are.

About ten minutes in and we've got the beginnings of a receiver extrusion made from 7075 T6 aluminum:

Currently I think the rifle will be in 5.56mm. It will not use STANAG magazines. @Ulric plz halp design new mag?
    • By Sturgeon
      The year is [year]. You are a [thing] designer working in/for [country/nation state/corporation]. The [things] of the rival [country/nation state/corporation] have recently *gotten meaningfully better in some specific way* and/or *the geopolitical and/or industry circumstances have significantly changed*. You have been tasked with designing a [thing] to meet the needs of this new and changing world!

If that made you laugh, maybe you've participated in a design competition before, here or on another forum. I've been a contestant or judge five or six design competitions by this point, and I'd like to highlight a mistake I've seen people make often that I think could hurt your chances. And that is, designing something for the wrong time period, specifically designing something that is too early for the period in which the competition takes place.

Quick: When you think about US rifles in World War II, what comes to mind? A lot if you would answer with the M1 Garand, I'd bet. If I went on another forum and started a "Design a Rifle: USA 1944" thread, I bet I'd get a lot of entries that took their cues from the M1 Garand - but the M1 wasn't designed in 1944, it was designed in the late 1920s. In attempting to "fit in" to the time period of the competition, they would have in fact submitted a design that is 15 years too late! The an appropriately dated entry would be something like a T25 Lightweight Rifle, which is associated mostly with the late Forties and early Fifties, but whose design began in the mid 1940s. Using the M1 Garand as a model for your 1944 design would result in something like a slightly refined Garand with a box magazine slapped on, putting you well behind the curve!

The T25 was what 1940s designers thought the rifle of the future would look like. Keen SHitters will notice the joke about the M14 in the above paragraph.

Tanks and other vehicles are the same way. The M48 is associated with the Vietnam era, but its development began in 1953. The Space Shuttle is associated closely with the 1980s, but design work on it began in the late 1960s, before the first man ever set foot on the Moon. The MiG-15 is associated with the Korean War, but Soviet jet fighter designers at that time were already putting pencils to paper on what would become the MiG-21.

It's tempting to create a design that looks like it would fit right in to the battles we know and associate with whatever time period a competition covers. Yet, the real-world designers fighting those battles from their drafting tables were already imagining the next thing, and even what would come after that, in turn. Design competitions are just for fun, but in some ways they are also practice for the real thing, so don't get stuck in the past!