Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Question about IDF Tiran-6/T-62

IDF had kept about 100 Tiran-6/T-62s since 1973, and remain service until 1990s. 

I wonder if there's any modification on Tiran-6, like changing the powerpack into 8V71T+XTG-411, adapting steering wheel. 

I also heard that British ROF had produce a batch of 115mm barrel for IDF, while MECAR or NEXTER produced high-performance APFSDS for 115mm gun. Did IDF really use these barrels for original barrel replacement? 

And about protection, did IDF put Blazer ERA on Tiran-6? Or they use more advanced APS like Trophy? 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Monochromelody said:

and remain service until 1990s. 

I'm pretty sure all the IDF Tirans were disposed of by the mid 80s, with the introduction of the Merkava 1 and 2 displacing them.

It was approximately at this time that some of the Tiran 4s and 5s were converted to Achzarit HAPCs, as they were no longer needed as gun tanks.

like changing the powerpack into 8V71T+XTG-411, adapting steering wheel.

The powerpack change done on the Achzarits requires a significantly raised roof, I don't think it's workable on the original hull height.

I also heard that British ROF had produce a batch of 115mm barrel for IDF, while MECAR or NEXTER produced high-performance APFSDS for 115mm gun. Did IDF really use these barrels for original barrel replacement?

AFAIK the IDF never went that far with the 115mm. A very significant portion of the captured ammo was lost in a warehouse fire, which led to the fairly quick retirement of the type.

Also, in the late 1970s and early 1980s IMI was a world leader in APFSDS development, and to this day they aren't too far behind the cutting edge, so why would the IDF buy from Belgium?

And about protection, did IDF put Blazer ERA on Tiran-6? Or they use more advanced APS like Trophy? 

There was at least one Tiran fitted with Blazer, but the fleet was not upgraded. They were all retired without the upgrade. Trophy came much much later and to this day has only been seen on Merkava 4s and Namers in active service, and experimentally on a Merkava 3.