Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

How Fragile was the Zero?

Collimatrix

I'm not sure; Wikipedia has this to say:

30. Persons Descending by Parachute

The law of war does not prohibit firing upon 
paratroops
 or other persons who are or appear to be bound upon hostile missions while such persons are descending by parachute. Persons other than those mentioned in the preceding sentence who are descending by parachute from disabled aircraft may not be fired upon.
[4]

In 1977, this practice was finally codified in Protocol I in addition to the 1949 Geneva Conventions:

Article 42 - Occupants of aircraft

1. No person parachuting from an aircraft in distress shall be made the object of attack during his descent. 2. Upon reaching the ground in territory controlled by an adverse Party, a person who has parachuted from an aircraft in distress shall be given an opportunity to surrender before being made the object of attack, unless it is apparent that he is engaging in a hostile act. 3. Airborne troops are not protected by this Article.

I have somewhere an Eastern Front Luftwaffe memoir that mentions in passing that they never saw or heard of such practice on either side.

The summary view of it seems to be that everyone frowned on it except the Japanese.

Genetically speaking, a lot of those liver eating, Chinese raping sorts didn't live long enough to pass their genes down. Well, except to maybe any Chinese that survived the raping. And then you add in a steady dose of GI and sailor Freedom Baby Makers.

I'm more of a nurture vs nature guy though.