Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Here's One For Bele: Did William Shakespeare Smoke Pot?

Drugs were easy and legal to buy durinh Pushkin/Tolstoy/Dostoevskiy times IIRC, and part of great russian writers were either smoking stuff or drinking alcohol. It is ok for artistic people, i guess, to be under drugs or vodka.

You know what? Fuck it. Shakes was probably using a god damn hemp wick or candle to light his pipes which has left the residue. Holy hell, do people not think things through about how folks had to light up before matches and Ronsons?

This seems likely.

Hemp would have been ubiquitous at the time, but I don't know if they even had the cultivar with huuuueeeggg amounts of THC at that place at that time.

• 2 months later...

I think we have fairly well established that Shakespeare did not smoke weed. But whoo-boy the grass is burning here in Ashland, home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival now that it's legal here too.

The wife and I were able to catch Pericles: Prince of Tyre which is reputed to be such a bad play that some scholars don't think The Bard even penned it.

With that said, even a bad Shakespeare play when performed by somewhat able community theater types is still a damn good afternoon's entertainment especially when the actors really pantomime the funny and lewd bits and interact with the audience. (I was held at dagger point by one of the play's low villains).

Also, I had forgotten that this play had one of my favorite Shakespeare stage directions/Deux ex Machina devices where pirates for no apparent reason popped out to rescue/steal Pericles' daughter who was about to be murdered to death.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I'm pretty much on board with that.  It's one of the many reasons why I'm pro legalization.  I'd like to see it properly regulated, and sold properly rather than by your average street dealer who doesn't give a crap if a kid is buying it. Kinda like alcohol. 

I don't know about how things are up there, but weed is pretty easily available illegally up here. It's pretty much everywhere.

Yeah, I'm pretty much on board with that.  It's one of the many reasons why I'm pro legalization.  I'd like to see it properly regulated, and sold properly rather than by your average street dealer who doesn't give a crap if a kid is buying it. Kinda like alcohol. 

I don't know about how things are up there, but weed is pretty easily available illegally up here. It's pretty much everywhere.

That's clearly a bad thing, but in the US it's becoming more common, not less. I don't think the legalization initiatives are helping that, honestly.

My suspicion is that in the future when this is better understood, people will view marijuana as similar to tobacco, but with the former affecting your brain, not so much your lungs.