Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Railguns

Sturgeon

4 hours ago, Alzoc said:

Last concept presented (no photo here) is a hollow aluminum round used to test the resistance to acceleration (30 g) of electronics.

That does not make any sense. 30 G is by 4 orders of magnitude less than how standard cannon munition accelerates. In simplified linear case a 1750 m/s muzzle speed from 120/L52 travels the barrel distance of 6,24 meters in 0,007 seconds which results into about 24500 G. 

For your information 100 G is a limit acceleration which is considered survivable for human brain in a crash scenario (head vs. windshield, head vs. solid floor etc.), i.e. roughly an acceleration of a thing falling from 2 meters on a solid ground. 

Yep you're right, miss-read that and didn't though about it. I was reading in French and writing in English so I mixed up the decimal separators (because the Anglo-Saxons had to be special again^^).

The article say 30 000 g.

Durant le Salon Eurosatory, ce sont d’ailleurs trois concepts de munitions qui sont exposés. La première, qui a déjà été tirée au banc d’essai, est une munition creuse en aluminium. Elle est notamment utilisée pour tester la résistance des composants informatiques qui pourraient être intégrés dans les futures munitions guidées hypersoniques, censées résister à des accélérations de 30.000 g.

Thank you.