Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

57 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Saw a guy run over his own foot with a push mower and get a blade right through every bone and tendon. 

I mean, that doesn't happen EVERY time. But you know, it could. 

Yeah, but that kid probably isn't stupid enough to run over his foot.

Watching the Democratic civil war in areas like Seattle or Portland is quite entertaining. It's like watching the Republican civil war between Trump and the mainstream Republicans. But with worse clothing and hairstyles and terrible personal hygiene decisions.

Since there isn't a separate climate thread, here's an interesting map I found showing predicted climate changes assuming present warming trends continue;

XijKbmY.gif

Looks like Russia is the big winner, China/India are going to have problems (IIRC a shitload of their water comes from meltwater in the Himalayas).

3 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

I wonder if we're seeing the end of the legendary Democratic solidarity?

I would probably never stop laughing if the Democrats ended up getting eaten by their own mutant hellspawn shock troops. Of course that would probably be bad for the rest of the country, but it would be funny.

When the monster you created turns its attention to you.

9 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Personally I'd find this more than a bit worrying (especially if I was black & poor):  https://theintercept.com/2017/09/15/police-israel-cops-training-adl-human-rights-abuses-dc-washington/

I see The Intercept has finally discovered the existence of Mossad mojo.

The Israeli military and police have such a ludicrously good reputation among US law enforcement that this isn't going to stop. What's needed is less laziness among police departments about educating their officers on correct use of force, escalation, etc.

One thing I find interesting is how in Commonwealth countries policing is typically done much less aggressively. While I think that sort of thing can't be applied directly here in the US (we are a different country, after all), it does kind of highlight just how poorly educated our officers are about some things.

Well, in the USA law enforcement is very different from place to place and from officer to officer. We also have more violent and unpredictable criminals, which has an effect on how our officers react to situations.

As for that video, uh, no. Dropping a knife in the US will not get you shot by an officer. Everyone carries knives in the US, unless you live in a namby pamby state filled with grass fed hipsters. I have walked down the street in Maryland carrying an axe, and while I did get stopped by police, I did not get shot (nor was I relieved of my axe).

None of this is to say that US law enforcement does not need reform; I think it does. There are a lot of issues I can think of with it, including their bedside manner.

I think they were suggesting that the running off bit is what would get you shot.....TBH I'd like to see how that experiment would go down right now, with an Arab in the offender role and maybe even a shout of "Allahu Ackbar" thrown in for dramatic effect. 

That might not turn out so well.  ;)

I actually meant redoing in the UK.....In central London right now, I reckon it would be more or less 'Suicide by Tactical Firearms Group'.

I once got (semi-)busted for underage drinking (up a hill in Northern California and I was twenty at the time so I was a bit bloody irritated TBH), in the UK in a similarly rural environment I'd have stuck two fingers up to plod and legged it, but the 9mm on the Ranger's belt completely ruled it out as an option for me in the US.  ;)