Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Ancient Arthropods

Priory_of_Sion

I introduce the wonderfully weird 2m long Aegirocassis benmoulae from the forgotten times known as the Ordovician. 

nature14256-f3.jpg

This animal is likely a filter-feeder, filling in a new niche during the Great Ordovician Biodiversification Event. 

More in depth video on the Aegirocassis, especially on the implication on arthropod limbs.

For birthday gifts and suchlike, I used to draw simplified versions of various ancient critters and put them on cards. I was particularly fond of Ostracoderms.

astraspis.jpg

Someone else's example ^

edit: forgot to include a point to this little aside. As there's a long weekend coming up, I'll have a go at a few ancient arthropod-based pictures.

If anything comes of it I will scan and poast.

The fossils found aren't that big, only about 10 cm long. However knowing that today's Mantis Shrimp can grow to about 40 cm, the Daidal acanthocercus might be able to grow to that size or perhaps larger. Probably not as big as a person though, fortunately for ancient sea life. 

Probably not, but fossils can't tell you everything. 

If his research is used for the purpose that I think it will be used for, I am all for encouraging it. 

Yeah, well. That's all well and good until you start forcing Christian photographers to take pictures at human/arthropod weddings.

Remember. God created Adam and Eve. Not Adam and Stomatopoda!

Not that I have anything against Odontodactylus scyllarus. Why, I was just watching some videos about the mating habits of Mantis shrimp and... eh...

No Stomo!

Yeah, well. That's all well and good until you start forcing Christian photographers to take pictures at human/arthropod weddings.

Remember. God created Adam and Eve. Not Adam and Stomatopoda!

Not that I have anything against Odontodactylus scyllarus. Why, I was just watching some videos about the mating habits of Mantis shrimp and... eh...

No Stomo!

Photographers? Get a real job!

So, holiday drawings didn't get very far...

BI1XyY9.jpg

Bottom right is an ancient horseshoe crab. Top left is a flesh spider (ie: an arthropod reimagined with an endoskeleton) which very much fitted in with the theme of the holiday house. As we were next to a salt pan, I got to do a few quick sketches of flamingos in flight. All the rest is KSP-related bullshit.