Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Sturgeon

How to Install SSD?

OK, so I've investigated this a couple of times, and I'm not sure there's an easy way to do what I want to do.

Basically, I have a 256g SSD that is just sitting on the shelf. I want to use it to host my OS, etc, but I want to retain all my settings, etc.

How does one do this?

OK, so I've investigated this a couple of times, and I'm not sure there's an easy way to do what I want to do.

Basically, I have a 256g SSD that is just sitting on the shelf. I want to use it to host my OS, etc, but I want to retain all my settings, etc.

How does one do this?

Don't know that you can. Clean install might be the way to go.  You might be able to save all your data on the previous HD tho.  Not sure for certain.

It's doable if you strip your system drive down to smaller than the SSD and grab some free cloning software.

I do not currently have a good idea what's the best cloning software to use, but I think I know a good place to check from people with recent experience (that will likely be tomorrow).

^ this

Get some kind of cloning software that forgoes partitions, I have one I'll recommend to you in a while. Everything is done automatically, you just select the drive to copy, and the drive onto which that data goes.

If you clone the whole drive and leave it on the same computer it's got real good chances of working just fine. Good luck doing it across computers, but on the same one I haven't heard that much bad news about it. Plus, if you just clone, you've still got the original.