Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Youtube general?

Vanagandr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This video is an interview with an author who has written a book about the influence of the fighter mafia on the F-15 and F-16.  Tl/dr:  The fighter mafia were romantics who thought that real manly men in austere planes could defeat clunky tech because, you know, The Right Stuff and all that.  the author is more charitable than many of us are with respect to the fighter mafia.  He points out that the fighter mafia thought that everyone would turn their radars OFF when entering air to air combat because of radar warning receivers.  I read the 2 Boyd biographies that came out about 20 years ago and what made me change my mind about the mafia was reading that they used to have eating contests where they would try to eat more steaks than the other guy.  Yeah, that was their leisure activity.  Macho one upmanship.  The sort of guy who can eat the most steaks can fly a Blitzfighter and take out a dozen Soviet tanks per sortie while the wimpy men have to use Mavericks from safe standoff distance.  The guy who can eat the most in one sitting can withstand unlimited g and outfly a squadron of more sophisticated planes.  Where the mafia really broke the rules was in going public to try and pressure the DOD.  We saw something similar 10 years ago with Key aviation forum and other places posting all their garbage against the F-35, citing the F-117 loss over Serbia s proof that "stealth" doe not work etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0HZ__qO8I

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...